Thread: Hello

Post Hello

Hi,

After signing up in 2009 I've finally got round to posting something (having kids makes the years speed by!)

I have no art or imaging experience or background (other than occasional basic image editing with Paintshop) but have always been interested in maps, especially fictional ones.
    I once did a show-and-tell type school report about a map from the fighting fantasy books (the whole of Allansia I think) which probably betrays my age, early-onset nerdery, and why I didn't have a girlfriend until embarrisingly late.

I used to like drawing maps when younger, but alas none survive now. Possibly not helped by my tendency to dip them in cold tea for that "aged" effect.

I'd like to get more into using art software and mapping programs but marriage, kids, work and DIY (oh god the endless DIY) makes dedicating time to learning tricky. I think it will go onto the largely hypothetical "list of things to do at lunch break".

I'll try to work on something though and post bits, even if only pen drawings and doodles.

Um, I'll stop waffling now.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome (back). Even pen doodles are acceptable.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Again, welcome Warplock! Being an unmarried cartography nerd with no children means 'I have no life', but then it also means I have plenty of time to dither with various hobby projects. I too created many maps throughout my life, most gone the way of the dodo, but lessons learned stuck with me. I also spent a solid decade playing with 3D software, that taught me lots about shading, shadow, highlights, directional light sources, ambient light which I use in my hand-drawn and non-3D graphics apps to get the look I need. I've been a large format map POD shop for four years, a professional fantasy cartographer for 3 years, and though I've been dabbling for over a year, I am still a beginner RPG publisher/game developer working on my publications (currently working with Rite Publishing as partners).

Some members recruit their children, even their wives into cartography exploration! I'm sure if you spend any design time at the Guild, you should get more greatly addicted and expand your cartography endeavors.

I know you're not brand new, based on your signup date, but based on post-count, a lurker is still a newbie to me - glad to see you here.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Welcome to the board
    Regards,

RK

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ay up Warplock and amen to the timehole that kids are (6˝ yr old in my case)... See the plans, the designs, see the... ah, another month on the calendar: that can't be right!

Don't worry regarding the skills, digital or otherwise either. There's tons to play around with whatever your level of artistry and even stuff that hides how crap you can be too! For which I am of course immensely grateful. Seem to have lost all my old hand-drawn maps too, yes, including the stuff done for a school show-and-tell (although they weren't called that back in the 80s here were they?). Lords of Midnight and Doomdark's Revenge stuff in my case.

Anyways, have fun fella, from one lurker to another.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Novice

Welcome to the site.

Guild Novice

Welcome back, glad to have you on board. In my opinion forums are the (spare moment at work) doorway to people with limited time at home in terms of learning and progressing!!! Hopefully we can help!