Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand-drawn style continental map.

Wip Hand-drawn style continental map.

Hello all, it's been probably a year since I had cause to do any real fantasy mapping, but I have a new project that I'm working on for my game: Hand-drawn style maps of each of the continents. I want to say thanks to StarRaven and Jezelf, I used their brushes and tutorials, respectively. Couldn't have done it without you guys.

I have a few more things to add to the map I think, but I have most of the major stuff labeled and done. Just looking for some feedback on things that I should change/add/remove or any mistakes or comments. This is my first attempt at a map like this (and only my second REAL attempt at mapping) so be gentle .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amrush.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	35426

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The town icons look awfully blurry, might want to hit them with the sharpen or unsharp mask to reduce the blurriness...or use some totally different icons. Otherwise, looks great.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Agreed.. Except to me there were a few Icon's oddly placed and you might want to consider making the shading lines all the way through most of the forests instead of it stopping in certain open area's.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm with Ascension, other than the city icons being blurred it looks great.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I'll join with the other voices saying the map looks great except for the place markers which are overly blurred.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Wip

I've replaced all the icons (I had been working zoomed out, and never really looked at them closely after placing them. You guys were right, they were pretty bad.) and have added in a lot more labels and text. I haven't decided on a legend yet, but I'm not so sure that the map really needs one. What do you guys think? I'm pretty pleased with the way this whole map has come together. I think I like the hand-drawn look, rather than the realistic look.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amrush.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	35448

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very nice.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Gaaran, this is looking very nice! Once you replaced the blurry symbols this map really came together. I've got to say that as much as I liked your first map, I find this one to be even more attractive. Great job!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Very nice, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks guys! I think I'm prepared to call it done, but is there anything that the map seems to be missing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast