Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My home as a subway

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    So I went ahead and did this too, this was fun! It should be a mini challenge. ;-)

Anyway since my apartement isn't very big I used features rather than rooms as my stations. I didn't have many good ideas for station names though.

Attachment 35555
    That's really great bartmoss. I agree on the mini challenge, that would be fun to see what people came up with.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

This is really intriguing me! Bartmoss, how did you decide what to theme the lines on? I can see the red line is your sitting room and the light blue line your kitchen, yellow looks like your bedroom and the dark blue the corridor...maybe? what about the green line?

I'm going to do one, but in a slightly different way.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    This is really intriguing me! Bartmoss, how did you decide what to theme the lines on? I can see the red line is your sitting room and the light blue line your kitchen, yellow looks like your bedroom and the dark blue the corridor...maybe? what about the green line?

I'm looking forward to see it :-)
    My finished maps

Have to rethink....I was going to do a lifeline thing, with different 'lines' being different themes of my life, interests, girlfriends, jobs, places I'd lived etc....but it then occurred to me that it would be a bit too much of an identity thief's dream to post on the internet....ah well.

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Clercon View Post
    ... and the 30 cm interior brick walls makes that impossible to change :-)
    I have some structural steel and a hammer that would beg to differ on the impossible bit.

But cool little map. Only question is why the two parallel blue lines that go to the same two stations before branching off? (The closest I've been to a subway is one that makes tasty sandwiches.)

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My apartment is fairly simple. It's got a sort of L-shaped corridor, with the long bit running on the front door to bathroom axis, and the shorter bit running bedroom to living room.

I figured if this was a "town", you'd want one big express line that goes through the entire thing - the front door would be the "main station", where people access the city. The "fire escape", since it's the balcony, would perhaps be the airport. So one long connection between makes sense.

I picked a ring for the kitchen because if you do anything there, it's locally contained. In retrospective, the kitchen should be connected to the rest by a trainline, after all, you do not want to carry your dinner from Doorway to Kitchen Access, wait for another train, then change on a third train (red line) before you can finally eat at Food Corner station.

I think i thought too much in terms of geography and not enough in terms of traffic flow. Hmmmm...

Blog Entries

Version 2 - this one probably reflects traffic flow much better, though I feel it also looks much less elegant.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	home02.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	35605

Have to rethink....I was going to do a lifeline thing, with different 'lines' being different themes of my life, interests, girlfriends, jobs, places I'd lived etc....but it then occurred to me that it would be a bit too much of an identity thief's dream to post on the internet....ah well.
    I promise I wont tell anyone :-)
    My finished maps

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    Only question is why the two parallel blue lines that go to the same two stations before branching off? (The closest I've been to a subway is one that makes tasty sandwiches.)
    Well sometimes (at least in Stockholm) two different lines share the track for a part of the trip. So at one station you can get on trains from two lines at the same platform. Makes it easier (and more confusing for tourists) to travel and cheaper to build.
    My finished maps

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clercon View Post
    Well sometimes (at least in Stockholm) two different lines share the track for a part of the trip. So at one station you can get on trains from two lines at the same platform. Makes it easier (and more confusing for tourists) to travel and cheaper to build.
    I think that is very common in many cities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12