Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: February 2008 Entry: The ruined manorhouse

Post February 2008 Entry: The ruined manorhouse

Hello

so i've decided to do a map for this challenge, figured i would throw my hat into the ring once more and win it this time. bwah ha ha!

this will be the construction diary of a wizard in a party of adventurers that found a ruined manorhouse, killed the kobolds that used it as a lair, and started building it anew. i'll start working on it tonight, with the beginnings of the map from the ruins up to a stately manor house even bruce wayne could call his own.

good luck to everyone who enters this month! let's have fun, shall we?

Map

From the Diary of Dantoor IV, wizard scribe of Drakengaard

"...and when we got to the site, it was a simple matter of purging the small lizardkin known as kobolds and loot any treasure they might have had. we inspected the grounds, a ruin of a manorhouse, and also found a cellar underneath that housed quite a few small passages and rooms. apparently this was also the den of smugglers, as it is near the Hansfeldt river and there is a small stream leading to it. I shall detail the caves more later, as detailing the ruins up top demand more of my time at present.
    The warrior, Allan, came up with an idea that holds merit. 'Why don't we try to rebuild this area. we could hire some dwarves from the town, use the existing foundation, carve out a few more rooms downstairs in the cellar, and add a second floor. it's a reasonably defensible area, and there is a river nearby with a perfect secret exit should we get attacked and be forced to retreat. We could do most of the cleanup and repairs ourselves, with your stone shaping magic.' (he pointed to me at this point and i was loath to tell him that my capabilities were not at the height he thought they were. hopefully i could get better the more adventures we went on.)

the rest of the party agreed and we set about clearing the area inside the walls. we had enough hard coin that we could hire some masons and stone workers. the nearest town, Shrewsbury, would have enough of both to start the process. perhaps in time we would have a fine home. tomorrow i shall start detailing the cellars below. this will be an exciting project for us all, and should bring all of us together to one common purpose, thus forging our freindships ever more powerully. more later."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manorhouse.jpg 
Views:	557 
Size:	523.3 KB 
ID:	2281  

Nice opener.

Though, forgive me, I can't help but wet myself laughing at the imagination of fantasy adventurers sitting in a circle like the Makeover™ Design Team.
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist saying it... :-D

Map

" So we finished rooting out the cellars, and after some freindly clean up with the thanks of a couple of unseen servants, we moved into them and began to make our homes in the various rooms. I needed a summoning circle so took the room closest to the largest one for my study, apprentice, and a small storage closet that would serve as a vault for some of my more esoteric experiments.
    the place is reasonably well lit with the help of several everburning torches, and we have set up a meeting room/storage nook in the largest room closest to the entrance. the priestess has set up her own shrine and altar where she is residing, and Allan has taken the room closest to the door leading to the caves, so as to be an early warning should any nasties come up from below. soon we will make an excursion into the caves below our abode. i pray nothing will be there of any import. however, having more experience would help in any case. "

Name:	manordungeon.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	458.0 KB 
ID:	2288  

Blog Entries

Nice, plenty of res - I like that.

Gotta ask, is that a C for concealed door and if so I would want to know what would be concealing it. Something thin - like a tapestry perhaps ?

Map

actually, i went back and changed the doors. took out the concealed and just went with secret ones. i'm going to assume there are tapestries and artwork but i'm not anal enough to do all that.

here's a new map with the changes for the doors. don't know if i like this either....

Views:	159 
ID:	2289  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by terrainmonkey View Post
    I'm going to assume there are tapestries and artwork but i'm not anal enough to do all that.
    Nah, I wouldn't have either. I would have done the same and made it secret.

I think the new doors are a bit lost - but the old ones were a bit too white and blobby for doors too. Is there something in-between the two extremes ? Brown rectangles maybe ? I dunno. Anyway, I should not be commenting so much...

okay, fixed the doors to a satisfactory level. i'm working on the undercaverns right now, that will be up tonight.

also, don't worry about commenting. i like to hear constructive criticism whether i'm in a competition or not. after having come close a couple of times over the past year, i'm finally getting to a point where i'm hungry for a win. this is what happens when i get really anal about every detail and want to excel. thanks for any thoughts anyone may have.

Views:	182 
ID:	2295  

Blog Entries

Doors look much better now

If nothing else, the secret doors are definitely better closed.

I think this place is gonna be a money-pit. Drafty rooms, leaky roof, orcs coming up out of the lower all hours of the night...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast