Thread: GIMP Random Mapping

Guild Apprentice

Wip GIMP Random Mapping

This is a map that I used GIMP exclusively for. The terrain and coastine were randomly generated as was the placement of the countries. I slapped the rest of it on in about two hours, and added a couple extras to make it look professional. There was a little effort involved in naming things.. I tried to make it as linguistically and regionally accurate as possible, but if you notice something that doesn't make sense in that context, I would appreciate a heads up. I would also appreciate any comments or suggestions for improvement.

Thanks guys

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks nice, man, but I'd like to see it bigger. The land shapes look convincing and the colors are easy on the eyes. Fonts look decent as well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm with Ascension.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks good. I agree with Ascension on the colors and the fonts. Nice job .
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I really like how natural the landmasses feel and how it gives a sense of being really big without actually needing to be or without being overwhelming or crowded.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Apprentice

I agree with you guys. Its way too small. I thought the same thing when I was putting on the text. It will involve more work but I think I can do this. I want to use this map for my new campaign setting and detail is always a good thing.