Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wooded Village

Very nice, Redrobes! I'm copying your post for the texture thread in the mapping elements forum! Do you think these textures would work as a seamless fill? Probably not, I'm guessing as you would have bits of trees cut off at the edges. Clone stamp maybe?

Blog Entries

You must have missed the update yesterday where I added the seamless version of image number two. But I would like to get icons (clone stamps) out of the images and these images do not have enough res or clean enough trees to get at them well. What I would like is old oak in summer - you know, fluffy green stuff like model train sets have and some conifers too. My app can bunch a whole load together or mix them up and create textures for that if I had a selection of really good icons to use.

No, I was just being blind...hadn't realised that the last image was a seamless tile. I did a google for 'architectural trees' and found this site , (sample image below) which sells images of trees seen top down but it looks like 3 modelling rather than the real thing and at $75 it's not cheap! You can download Bryce 5.5 for free, I think and that has a tree modeller. The models are not much to write home about, but they may look better if seen from above, and you can make alpha channels for the render too and make transparent .pngs out of them.

I'll have a play tonight and see how they look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trees.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	2294  

Blog Entries

They're cool. Whats your take on this... If you used a proprietary 3D model of a tree or even an app to generate random trees and took a screenie from above then can you distribute the image of the tree ?

Speed Tree :- http://www.speedtree.com/tree_browser/index.htm is a bit of a daddy when it comes to this as its used in a lot of places and games. There is a demo where (at least a few years ago at any rate) you could whoop up some random stuff and select the viewpoint including from above. The demo had a handful of models to try and get the idea where the full set gives you loads. But I chose not to use them because I don't want to get tied up in any kind of copyright spat.

And if looking for trees, there is an old post from me back here that points to an offsite tutorial I made on rendering many kinds of top down trees using an assemblage of free tools).

-Rob A>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123