Thread: Fractal terrains altitude

Question Fractal terrains altitude

So I did myself a treat and got Fractal Terrains Pro. Playing around for a while I noticed that the altitudes increased very step so that short after the shoreline you reached altitudes above 1000 Meters. I used aproximately earth settings. What I would like to generate are earthlike, flat areas that are pretty smooth rising up into mountains quickly. The altitude remapping function produced a strangely ripped up surface like someone going through with a plow. I used just tweaked the altitudes above 0 with a nonlinear value of two. So if there are answers to that, Iwould be glad to hear them.

Hmm... I tried FT Pro, and it wasn't really to my taste, so I can't really solve this problem.

However, it sounds like Wilbur's exponent filter could fix your issue, so if you really want to use FT pro it might be worth your while to generate a world in FT pro than use Wilbur to do exponents (If your oceans don't have continental shelves at first, the exponent filter can also make those) and a few passes of erosion.

To get smooth sea-level areas you'll need to give up the continental shelf feature. Set the "Continental shelves at" value to 0 on the Secondary tab in the World Settings property sheet to accomplish this.

O.K. I dumped the continental shelf feature yesterday and figured out that it is easiest ( for me at least ) to start with a smaller landmass and add in land later with raise/lower prescale land offset. It eludes me what exactly prescale offset and offset are. If wilbur can add in continental shelfes later thats great. I´ll give it a try.
    There is a thread around here regarding the manual of FTpro, that manual needs to go into more detail. You get a nice standard using the default settings but that´s nothing near the things a2area has achieved combining wilbur and FTpro. But that´s what I´m aiming at. I´m glad of you helpful people around this forum. I´ll try give some back.

So another thing has poped up. Remap altitude is a nice feature to get flat areas while keeping the mountains ( in the center,too ). To establish a kind of workflow I tried to export to wilbur x64 1.75 with the special wilbur .mdr format. Importing in wilbur went smooth and I cried out with joy seeing a incise flow PREVIEW butten. So I eroded away happily. Exporting back failed. Using save as 32 bit floating .mdr resulted in a very blank map in FTPro, several other options failed too. Using FTPro 2.3 I hope for some information as I followed the tuts for older versions ( there and back again ) to the point. Any suggestions?

altitude = ((fractalfunction + prescaleoffset) * worldscale * roughness) + offset

FT is limited by having a whole-world editing grid that is necessarily limited in resolution due to other implementation details. This editing grid is used in conjunction with the specified fractal function to generate the final result whenever the map zoom or pan is changed. Wilbur has a fixed-size editing grid that is never regenerated; what you have is all you'll get (it just gets blurrier as you zoom in).

FT's documentation could indeed use some help.

MDR input was broken in some versions of FT. I can't recall which ones, though.

Thx for all the advice. Off to practise with me!