Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: *** May 2011 Challenge ***

Well, there I was on the Beach with my toes in the sand waffling about what to do with my sketch pad when I thought about this month's challenge. So I doodled out a Continent and thought, "it's not terrible so maybe I'll go ahead and scan it in for the monthly when I get home and then work on it some more". Then I get home and see about 20 or so entries that are totally smokin' awesome and I'm thinking I don't have enough time this month to polish mine up that nicely.

This is shaping up to be one of the best looking challenges I have seen since joining!

I still hope to join in just because I like to be involved and I need lots of practice with labeling but looking at the wall of entries I have to say, (even for me who has been in a lot of challenges and knows better), it's almost intimidating.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Technically it's ok. (name omitted) recently won a challenge and got a feature on the front page with Star Raven's brushes. Other folks make really pretty maps that get lots of "oohs" and "ahhs" with Vhailor's brush conversions of Ramah's work. In the past some folks have won challenges just by following one of the many tuts we have here (don't use any of my tuts - you won't win, heh heh). Personally, I almost never vote for maps where someone uses someone else's brushes (ya really gotta have something more to wow me) but most folks just go for the prettiest eye candy so it seems a good strategy.
    I'm not sure where FTPro lies in the eye candy department, but it's the tool I use, so it's what I'm entering. I don't really expect I have much of a chance of winning, since I'm still fairly newb-ish at the whole mapping thing, even without any possible bias against the style (if there is any to speak of). If it helps console anyone, the FTPro map is only the baseline of the map - there's a good chunk of art and personal work layered on top of it.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

do we have a firm end date for this challenge? Last day of May?

I'm going to struggle to finish mine - new job and 3 kids in school with end of year activities and vacations and stuff. you all know - real life stuff. If I have a deadline, it helps me focus.

4 or 5 days before the end of the month. I'd set your deadline for a week though, just to give yourself some slip time.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Ah, there's more time left than I thought! I might just be able to give this a shot after all . . .

So when does this get locked down?

------

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like to give folks as much time as needed and weekends are good for getting everything done. I, myself, have little time during the week so I do most of my work on weekends. So I'm thinking some time Sunday night.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123