Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** May 2011 Challenge ***

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Default *** May 2011 Challenge ***

This month's main challenge is pretty simple - make a map of a nation. Any style, any genre, island nation, part of a continent, road map, sat-style, ISO, whatever. The main things we'll be looking for are legibility of labels, clearly defined border (if part of a continent), and polished look. 1 entry per person. You have about 3 and 1/2 weeks. Good luck.

PS - don't forget to label your entry like "May 2011 Challenge Entry - My Map" and don't forget your wip tag like this ### Latest WIP ### or else the scraper will omit you (make the wip tag the last thing you type before uploading).
    Last edited by Ascension; 05-29-2011 at 10:43 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Good luck. I may be new to this site and competition, but not to making art and maps. Going to give you guys a run for your money!

I kinda thought they competition was going to be this: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...-a-map-by-hand, but being that I'm inclined towards digital art, I'm quite happy with 'nation building'
    Last edited by morikahn; 05-02-2011 at 11:54 PM.

=) This is nice. Very simple yet open for Idea's.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Simplicity is bliss.

looking forward to the competition.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

DJ... care to give this a go? I want to see if I can beat you!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'm in Looking forward to it.

Cool, something I was thinking of doing anyway. Bring it on!

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Hmmm... I might even give this one a go, see if the creative juices are flowing again.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

You know, when I first read this map I thought "great, this is something I have a lot of experience with". Now I'm thinking "crap, this is something they've got a lot of experience with". I'd be surprise if this month's comp doesn't comes down to be a close race, I have no chance but it should be interesting to watch.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    You know, when I first read this map I thought "great, this is something I have a lot of experience with". Now I'm thinking "crap, this is something they've got a lot of experience with". I'd be surprise if this month's comp doesn't comes down to be a close race, I have no chance but it should be interesting to watch.

-D-
    Nonsense. You'll do great. Hmm.. I might even get in on this one...
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast