Thread: Kia Ora, hello!!

Guild Novice

Default Kia Ora, hello!!

Hi All,

Just joined today and would like to say you guys have some awesome content. I am 27 year old bloke living in the USA originally from New Zealand (hence the Kia Ora).

My interests include, writing science fiction, game design and digital art.

Programs I currently use in my day to day activites:
    Blender 2.57b
    Ngplant
    Inkscape
    Gimp 2.6
    zBrush 4
    Adobe Illustrator (CS1)
    Adobe Photoshop (CS1)

Like many other budding artists and game enthusiasts I am part of a small indie game company that is designing and developing several titles for the Android OS.

Look forward to mixing and mingling with the lot of you.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

How do you like that Zbrush? I've always had a notion to get it. Oh, and welcome.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Kia Ora Ajhacket! I'm a 31 year old bloke from the USA whose about to head over to your neck of the woods (Auckland) for post-graduate work. Can't wait! Oh, and welcome to the Guild.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

@ Steel General, jtougas - Thanks for the warm welcome glad to be hear and I can add Wilbur to my list of programs, great tutorials and content. This is quickly becoming one of the friendliest and most active/useful forums I am part of.

@ arsheesh - well you can try out the opensource predecessor for zBrush "Sculptris" it works nice with photoshop as it can projection pain details and you can make custom alphas and its free, zbrush currently still has that $699 US price tag on it. Don't get me wrong for my side indie game project I need it but if you are thinking of getting into 3d sculpting I would check out the functionality in blender 2.57b (which has 3d sculpting) and sculptris before investing.

Sculptris Download from ZbrushForums
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=90617

Projection Painting in Sculptris on YouTube (Ps the music is a little annoying)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBI17bswg2M

Utilization for map making hmmmmm.... well if you pick up blender 2.57b from (www.blender.org) you can create objects in a 3D space and then export them as .OBJ format into sculptris create your fine detail and put it back into blender use the internal renderer or one of the other many funky opensource ones (yafray, luxrender) and you have your 3d object ready to plonk on your map.... I would be thinking detailed mountains, cities, that type of stuff.

From your question I totally just thought of an opensource only tutorial to create 3D object that might be a nice way to spruce up your map!! Now I just need to find the time.

Thanks all, feel free to pester me with more questions about some of the 3D tools I use, I am sure theres application in the map making world!!!

Enjoy,

Well Come Ajhacket-

You post was held up in the moderation queue because of the number of links and your few posts. I also cleaned up the dup post.

And yes, this is an active forum. Most days trying to keep up here is akin to drinking from a firehose.

-Rob A>

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave