Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: May 2011 Challenge Entry - The Tripartite

Default May 2011 Challenge Entry - The Tripartite

The idea here is a walled nation comprised of three races, all working together. Sure, they have their tiffs and problems, but they work it out for the good of the whole, and there is always a third vote to break ties.

I have, in the past, found myself drawn to a vaguely cartoony style, which is very different and a lot harder than my normal texture-manipulation-and-layer-effects methods. But the point of these challenges is o make yourself grow as an artist, right?!

Anyway, I have just started and am getting my footing here, so it might be pretty ugly for a while. I've made basic sketchup shapes to help me with perspective and consistency, then I am going in with a 3px brush with shape/transparency dynamics on it to sketch in the detail. This is also going to be a new experience for me, as I normally love crisp black lines which allows for easy coloring...

I think I've bitten off a lot here, and it remains to be seen if I'll be able to chew it.

Started work on the basic layout and have gone in to start sketching the first city--the human one.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alliance.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	521.4 KB 
ID:	35521  
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 05-03-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Love the way you draw them buildings, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Great start - I love the light/dark motif you're going with.

It reminds me of the cover or loading screen of Black And white 2.

Everything is still very rough, but it is coming along.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	80 
Size:	558.9 KB 
ID:	35527  

Very very nice

Grr, i was thinking of doing something similiar, not only did you get to the idea first you're doing it better than I could. Good start, now I shall shake my fist at you while I move onto my backup idea.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

After your sweeping victory in the last challenge, someone has to throw some roadblocks on your way!

I noticed everything was a little off-kilter. Whoops. Hopefully that is fixed.

I think the key here will be filling up the landscape. Also considering some kind of central meeting hall in the center of the map... I'm anxious to see where this goes.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	82 
Size:	630.3 KB 
ID:	35538  
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 05-04-2011 at 03:21 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very Very Cool.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast