Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May 2011 Challenge Entry: The Celestial Empire of Leggarium

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default May 2011 Challenge Entry: The Celestial Empire of Leggarium

It's been a couple of months since I entered a challenge and this one seemed up my street as they say so, I present the Celestial Empire of Leggarium. I have NO idea what that means it just came to me while I was working on the outline of this map. I'm imagining a kind of Roman Empire type of thing with several nations making up the empire. We'll see how this goes.

###LATEST WIP###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Celestial Empire of Leggarium.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	35522
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks like fun - certainly lots of sea trading and travel. You appear to have a couple of flat topped mountains?

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Looks like fun - certainly lots of sea trading and travel. You appear to have a couple of flat topped mountains?
    Thanks. I didn't notice the mountains until you mentioned it I guess I "blew" them out during the color process. Having said that I decided to go another direction with this. I was going for more of a "hand drawn" look to this but I'm not sure I achieved that or not. Regardless I present the Celestial Empire of Leggarium version two.

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	99 
Size:	4.69 MB 
ID:	35549
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd tone down the bumpiness. I know you've been on this heavy texture kick for a while but I think it's distracting...especially since it's hard to see the lil forts and mountains. Colors and shapes look good, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I'd tone down the bumpiness. I know you've been on this heavy texture kick for a while but I think it's distracting...especially since it's hard to see the lil forts and mountains. Colors and shapes look good, though.
    You've got a good point. I've been so wrapped up in the Godswrath stuff I didn't even give it a thought for this. I got rid of some of the texture and added some forests. (the whole area looked like various shades of desert).

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	96 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	35554

Finished Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The 'less-bumpy' version is much better I think.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

honestly I like the textured version (more bumpy) better. But nice job overall. Lots of style here.

Looking good JT but I'm not sure the style of forest works too well at the 1:1 viewing scale (looks good on the thumbnail though). Some curious trades routes and some lovely choke points for campaigning.

Looks really nice, but I think I have to agree with RjBeals the textured version (more bumpy) looks a bit better in my opinion.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Blog Entries

Wip

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I decided that I was rushing this. Another "flaw" I have is trying to get everything done all at once. As I am fond of telling new members these challenges are to help you grow and learn new skills just as much as they are about the competition. I decided to start over and go for a more "artsy" kind of look. I also wanted to stretch my terrain editing skills a bit an am glad I did as I am learning more and more each time I open Wilbur. I also have to thank arsheesh his new Lothgar map gave me the inspiration to do this over again.

###LATEST WIP###

Name:	The Celestial Empire of Leggariumv3.5.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	3.67 MB 
ID:	35582

Finished Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast