Thread: The Magna Carta

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Default The Magna Carta

I got this as part of a promotion. A copy of the original Magna Carta was on display here (the original is in London, but shortly after it was created, about a doz. hand written copies where made and sent around the coutnry. This is one of those). I thought this free little give away, that had this image on one side and a short history of it in the other, was very cool and I decided to scan it and share it. I"m sure somebody can use it for something!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magna carta2.jpg 
Views:	23466 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	35540  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That is very cool. Thanks for sharing.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Snagged. Thanks, man. I always wanted to see it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

New england: where depends on time of year

sweet, I always wanted to see it, thanks for sharing.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff, thx for sharing...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Hey you are welcome. And in case it wasnt clear in my opening ramble, this is a copy of the original. As I understand it, the original Magna Carta was hand copied about a doz. times after it was first drafted, and those copies were sent around England so all the nobles of the land could see it. When Queen Elizabeth came here to Winnipeg last summer, in part to dedicate the building of the Canadian Human Rights Museum, she brought with her one of these copies. It was on display at the Manitoba Legislature Building for most of the summer. We went to see it, and while there picked up this very nice glossy brouchure with the image you see on it. Apparently, this is the only time Any of the copies have ever left England.

I may see if I can use this as a faded back background for a game I happen to know is being developed. I havent been asked to do the map yet, but I am hopeful. Its a War of the Roses game, but it may still be kinda appropriate. I think a map of England superimposed on the Magna Carta might look pretty kool.

Or not...just gotta try it and see. :-)