Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle of Hohenfriedberg (WIP)

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Wip Battle of Hohenfriedberg (WIP)

Hey all.

Its been some time since I worked on a boardgame map. I have been mostly working on other graphics for Victory Point Games (cards, charts, and such). But when I was searching around on the BoardGameGeek website I found a kool looking little wargame on the Battle of Hohenfriedberg. It is a so-called postcard game, as all the important bits can be fitted onto a postcard- the counters, rules and map! I downloaded it and decided to blow it up in size and punch up the graphics a bit. Here is the original.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hohenfriedeberg_original.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	840.2 KB 
ID:	35563  

And here after much tweaking, is my version of the same map.

I am also working up some new counters to go with it. I just need some time to sit down and get this completed.

My apologies for not using the regular attachments manager, but for some reason its not working for me right now. Instead this image was pasted in here off a wargamers website I frequent.
    Last edited by timallen; 05-05-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks. Last night I changed the coloured markers that show where to set up your units to long rectangles, that hopefully look something like a pre-20th century map of a battlefield. Oh and just to be clear; this was originally a game I found on the BoardGameGeek website and it was a free downloadable, print-and-play game. The original came on two pages, with the first page having all the rules, the map and the counters, and the next page a bit of history on the battle. I was thinking of upsizing the map and putting it and all the rest (except the history) onto an 11x17 page, but now I am thinking of putting the map, counters and rules onto three seperate letter sized pages.

Doh! looks like I missed resizing one of the town names.

Name:	hohenfriedeberg_2.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	436.0 KB 
ID:	35573  

I have also started working a bit on the counters. I have been gathering images off the "Junior General" website of top-down views of appropriate soldiers, cavalry, and cannons. Here is what I have so far...not bad, but much of the detail on the soldiers gets lost when shrinking them down to board-wargame counter size. I may have to see if something better can be done. Although these still look pretty good.

Name:	hohenfriedeberg_revised counters.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	35574  

Guild Novice

Hallo, Tim, very fine map indeed
    But for me the whole work is a little bit flawed because there's a little typo in the name of the battle: should be "Hohenfriedberg" (without the 3rd "e"). Now you may call me a nitpicker but imagine a game with f.e. "Gettisburg" prominently in the title
    Note that the left side is the north side. So you may add a little compass or something like that.
    And for Günthersdorf I proudly present you an umlaut: ü
    If you want to add some placenames: The sole woods hex in the center is the Fuchs-Berg. The swamps are called (The) Gule and contained many small ponds which you may add.

Here is a very fine map of this battle: http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...nfriedberg.jpg

For the graphix issue I would be more carefull with the shadows behind the little houses. The now look like individual 2D graphics.
    Last edited by Greenhorn; 05-07-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Greenhorn, the map you link to includes the "e" that you say doesn't belong... what's the deal?

Thanks Greenhorn! That's all good info. I must confess that this is not a battle I know much about, so this all helps.

Here is the latest map, with your corrections, and other changes (most notably, with a white hex grid instead of the dark gray one).

Opinions?

Name:	hohenfriedeberg_3cropped.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	440.8 KB 
ID:	35590  

Guild Novice

Yes, this looks much better. Now it's one of those gamemaps which may seem to cry loud "Play me!!"

One small typo still left: it's the Fuchs-Berg ("Fox-Mountain") without "Forest".

The original gamemap has also some higher level. Was it your intention to leave this out?
    Last edited by Greenhorn; 05-07-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Greenhorn - We have quite a few Polish members (other than myself) so that sort of info is cared about. It would be wise to think before you type...we're not all a bunch of 14 year olds here.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast