Thread: Hello

Default Hello

I am an author, not really a map maker. I am working on getting a book self published through Kindle by the end of the month. I decided to go self-publish simply because I am one of those people who likes to be an odd ball. This of course means I get to do all of the work myself. I have made my own cover image with GIMP and I am pretty adept at using the program. The problem is where I can create some beautiful images with GIMP, I am totally pathetic at making maps.

I can make coast lines,nations,towns,cities,roads, etc. I know where I want mountains,forests,plains and desert. The problem lies when I start trying to show mountain ranges. Right not my mountain ranges are quite laughable. So I am here to rummage through your wonderful forum and ask questions and hopefully in the process,I will figure out how to make mountain ranges that don't send readers and map makers alike into hysterics.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild. If your already familiar with GIMP then check out THIS tutorial for mountains. It's very good and makes making good mountains easy.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Welcome to the guild I tried Gimp but it never worked on my computer so I bought photoshop from a friend.

Thank you for the welcome and for the link. I am not sure what Wilbur is though and where I can work GIMP I have no clue what any of the technical type terms are. I have mainly just bumbled through until I figured out how to get things to look a certain way. Now, although I can make neat multi-layered images, I couldn't begin to explain how. It would go something like this, "Selected that thingy there...". lol.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crazyinkblot View Post
    Thank you for the welcome and for the link. I am not sure what Wilbur is though and where I can work GIMP I have no clue what any of the technical type terms are. I have mainly just bumbled through until I figured out how to get things to look a certain way. Now, although I can make neat multi-layered images, I couldn't begin to explain how. It would go something like this, "Selected that thingy there...". lol.
    Wilbur is a terrain generator (for lack of a better more technical term) it helps create the "height field" that you need to make mountains. It all sounds very technical but really isn't. Trust me I'm a writer as well and I figured it out (mostly)
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thank you so much for the link. I downloaded it and now I am off to play with it for while. Once I get the feel for it, I am going to take another look at that tutorial. BTW, Wilbur is so COOL! This is going to be fun.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave