Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: May Challenge 2011 Entry: The Empire of Tyddarheym

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Wip May Challenge 2011 Entry: The Empire of Tyddarheym

The Empire of Tyddarheym was the third state in history since the beginning of written notes which was able to project its power on the whole continent of Tordaral. It saw itself as the rightful successor to the the First (the Commonwealth of Tordaral) and Second Empire (the United Republic of Tyddarheym), and names itself therefore often the Third Empire - which caused often diplomatic problems with the Kingdom of Rebenor, which was created on the ruins of the colonies of the Second Empire in West-Teringland and claimed for itself the status as successor of the United Republic.
    Although de jure a monarchy with a ruling Emperor, the Empire used many re-created institutions of the U.R. - the High Senate, the Imperial Court and the Provincial Assemblies - which made the Third Empire a mix of monarchy and republic. Historians are still arguing today if this was a voluntary solution - the first emperor Terhold I. could trace back his family to a High Consul of the U.R. and had a known soft spot for the history of the Second Empire - or if Terhold I was forced to allow this institutions (which restricted his power very soon) to have a legal lead over his opponents in the foundation wars, who cared nothing or very few for history and tradition.

So far a little background for this entry, which is done in PS. At the moment I'm testing the composition of the map elements (hills, trees, etc), map is 50% size - for the final piece I will probably use an external link.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyddarheym.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	35606  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks like a fine start.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ouch, someone who really knows how to put the mountain brushes and forest program to good use. Looking real nice so far, which is a problem for me

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

here come the big guns!

The land mass looks awesome. I love the shape and balance on your canvas.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And there goes the last shred of hope I had.... Just kidding. It looks great to start as usual.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Wip

Thank you for the comments! I hope the final result can cope with the start.

A new update, more hills and trees and other geographic features.

Again the uploading issue with the thumbnail, but after the sixth time with no picture seeing it was enough to try again.

# # # Latest WIP # # #

Name:	Tyddarheym.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	35688  

Looks really good. I like the sand dunes you'v got in your desert.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Wip

First try for city icons and labels. I'm not sure which font to use for the city names.

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	559.9 KB 
ID:	35695  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the top one, but smaller, and the one farthest left. The middle one isn't too bad, but maybe smaller there as well. The bottom one and far right one you see a lot so maybe I just favor non-common things.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I like the top one, but smaller, and the one farthest left. The middle one isn't too bad, but maybe smaller there as well. The bottom one and far right one you see a lot so maybe I just favor non-common things.
    The top one is Augusta, the farthest left is Treasuremap Dead Hand. Funny, these two are my favorites for this map, too!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast