Map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castran 6b.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	109557

Created in: Photoshop and Inkscape

Review
    City maps are two things: Time consuming to make and very difficult to get right. You can't hide behind colours and textures with a city map...if it's not convincing it will be apparent. This city map by Zong took several years to make. The care and attention to it shows. The spare colour choices make the map more of an accomplishment....this is a beauty with a superb eye for detail: touches like the houses on the main bridge (as was known with bridges of that size in medieval times), the field distribution and shapes, the building to street ratio, the general dispersion, shape variation, block distribution and relative building size all testify to the fact that this is a stunner in the thought that has gone into it. It is very, very hard to get all of these factors right in a city map and Zong has done it.

Congratulations Zong on your award.

Quote Originally Posted by Zong
    So this is a first for me, actually finishing a map. I've been working on and off on this for several years now. Some of you might remember seeing my wip thread for it, if you do you might notice that I have flipped the map vertically. This is because I made some geographical changes on my world map and moved some countries around.

Here is some backstory for you:

The city of Castran is the capital of the kingdom of Kardoma, It is one of the larger cities in the northern parts of the region of Aergada. The citys roots can be traced back less than a thousand years to the time of the great empire. During this time the great bridge, which today is the most famous landmark of the city, was constructed. It was built as a network of roads to allow the imperial troops easy travel to distant parts of the empire and to help in its conquests of new lands.
    A small village existed on the western side of the river Rimen, after the bridge was finished new development quickly appeared on both sides of the river. And it wasn't long before the city became an important trading hub.

Map was made with photoshop and the shield was made with inkscape.
    Original threads
    original thread

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Stunning. It's everything a great city map should be.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Gorgeous. Reminds me a lot of the Harn World maps, which are just as excellent.

One of my favorite city maps on this site. I'm honestly feeling envious that you've completed something this nice. I've had something similar to this in motion for years but can't seem to pull it off like your map.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Awesome city map my friend

Will you be expanding on your document on how to make a fantasy city? The techniques you have are a great base but did you create buildings and then "stamp" them or did you use another technique?
    Last edited by mwsasser; 10-20-2011 at 11:49 AM.

very nice indeedy!

Lovely map!

One of the Things that I have enjoyed about Cartographers guild and the artists has been the Creative and beautiful styles of every map and the desire to show that creative aspects of themselves. You have presented an excellent example of Creative Style. (as well as a beautiful Map ).

Guild Apprentice

Awesome map!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast