Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April/May 2011 Lite Challenge Entry: The Stella Arcis (The Star Fortress)

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default April/May 2011 Lite Challenge Entry: The Stella Arcis (The Star Fortress)

I decided to have a go at this challenge as well. As in so many of my other projects, The Celestial Empire of Leggarium has moved into my brain and has taken up residence. This idea came to me while I was working on my "big" challenge entry. Basically its a tower at the end of a wall around the capital city of Leggarium. It features ballista and archers in pits. It also features one rather unique security feature. The center of the tower is filled with gravel that will spill out and (hopefully) cover or crush anyone attempting to breach the tower. Now I know thats a bit far fetched but it sounded good in my head. The Latin is from Google and probably not right but again it sounds good.

###LATEST WIP###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jtougasaprilmaychallenge.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	974.4 KB 
ID:	35636
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Good job Jtougas!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very nice stuff JT!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Great idea! It´s those thoughts that make fantasy storys interessting ( even if it´s far fetched )

Blog Entries

Wip

Thank you everyone . A little update. I realized that the "Star" portion of the fortress wasn't showing that it was a separate floor quite enough for me. As I looked at it I realized that it looked like it was part of the "gravel trap". It wouldn't do to have the tower commander and all the weapons (not to mention the ballista bolts) tumbling down the center of the tower in case of a breach. I also added a couple of roads leading to the tower.

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	78 
Size:	1,008.7 KB 
ID:	35664
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

The Stella Arcis (Star Fortress) rises 70 feet above the city of Leggarium. As explained by the name these towers are built in the shape of a star. A symbol most important to the Empire. The fortress bristles with ballista emplacements as well as archers hidden in almost impregnable pits just below. Each Arcis (and there are 12) has it's own commander who issues orders and is responsible for the hundred plus troops under his command. Each Arcis is linked to the others with a 60 foot tall wall that surrounds the city of Leggarium. Each Arcis can also be reached from the ground by two shafts that run the height of the fortress. These shafts contain ladders made from stout wood. It is a good thing that the soldiers of the Celestial Empire are not weak of heart as this climb is arduous and nerve racking to say the least. Each Arcis also carries a secret. The inner core of the tower is filled with rock and gravel. This forms a trap for anyone attempting to breach the tower as well as making it nearly impossible to tunnel into the Arcis from below.

One more update. I realized that I added roads and had no way of reaching the top of the tower from ground level. So enter the "Shaft" 70 feet of black terror for anyone afraid of heights (or the dark).

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	168 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	35665

Finished Maps

Unless I'm mistaken, Stella Arcis would mean something like the fort-like star in English. My Latin isn't good enough to tell you a suitable replacement, however, I do know that those words should be the other way around (not just that, though).

Otherwise, very good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ares96 View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, Stella Arcis would mean something like the fort-like star in English. My Latin isn't good enough to tell you a suitable replacement, however, I do know that those words should be the other way around (not just that, though).

Otherwise, very good.
    I knew my Google Latin wasn't going to cut it. Although if it does translate as "fort like star" thats actually pretty cool sounding as well. One drawback to going to a vocational technical high school; no time for elective stuff like Latin.

Finished Maps

I looked up "star fort" on Wikipedia, then changed to the Latin edition. The article there was substantially shorter than the English version, but it existed. "Fortalitia stellaris" is probably what you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast