Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hornhord

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks very good. And Welcome.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Actually, I like the font for this map, although I don't think it would work for many others. This is an attractive and bold map, but I do have to add that rivers don't work like that. Specifically, a river will not run from the ocean to the ocean. It will start in a high place and go to the ocean, joining other rivers on the way, but not splitting into more rivers. If it stops at a lake, many rivers may come in, but only one runs out again.

The map is also lacking a scale. Is this a large island or a continent?

Thanks for criticism.
    It is continent, thanks for council with the rivers, I haven't noted this error. Scale I will increase, the main thing that scale magnifications it was not reflected in image quality.

Here, I have temporarily removed a pattern, have added Russian-speaking inscriptions, diversified wood a little
    The size didn't begin to increase since to spoil the image
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newmap.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	35794  
    Last edited by Harrg; 05-15-2011 at 01:41 AM.

I have made new mountains, I ask to estimate

Name:	новая карта копия.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	36177  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks great.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's a great looking map. I love the colors and textures, especially how you did the forests. That looks NICE, especially the variance in shadow and light in them. I have to say though, I liked the first version of the mountains better.

I really like the forests, but the mountains, although good, could be better for me. I think it's because you're feathering the edges to try to blend the mountain edges into the surrounding land and that doesn't really work for this style of map. might be better having an irregular edge to the mountains and reducing the feather effect. The whole thing looks beautiful though!

I have continued to draw a map but already in other style because I can not make mountain which to me it to be pleasant. The criticism and councils is as usual necessary

Name:	mapo.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	36738  

Overall I like the new (or rather "old") style Harg, but don't give up to soon on the former style: mountains are among the more difficult elements to master in artistic/photo-realistic maps, so don't be too disappointed if it takes a while for you to land upon a method that you're satisfied with (I still haven't myself!). Regarding the new map, I really like what you've done with the legend. It is simple, clear, and attractive. The overall shape of the continent is good (reminds me of Australia), the mt. and tree symbols are simple and effective (though one suggestion might be to check out Gidde's Hand-Drawn Tutorial where he discusses how to add shading to these symbols).

One thing that does strike me as a bit unnatural however is the emboss and shadow layers that you've added to the continent. I think I see what you are going for: a way of making the continent stand out against water. However the overall effect seems rather to give the impression that the land mass is floating above the ocean. My suggestion would be to get rid of the bevel & shadow and instead darken the water layer, lighten the continent layer, and add some ripples around the continent. This, I think, will better achieve the look you are after. One way of making the ripples would be to make a selection of the continent, slightly grow the selection then stroke the selection. Grow the selection again (by a 1-3 pix or so), and then stroke it again. Do this 5-6 times (perhaps gradually decreasing the px size of each stroke) and you should have a nice set of ripples surrounding your continent.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast