Hey guys, I'm really sorry if I'm posting a question that gets asked really often, but it's something that's been on my mind for a little while.

When creating the "base layer" as I'll call it on Photoshop CS3 - you know the rendered clouds then a new layer with 50% gray and hard mix (see Ascension's Making a Continent tutorial, or the Saderan one), could you copy the basic shape of an island or continent, cut it out from one map and insert it into another map that you are currently making without problems? As in, if I wanted to make a Saderan-style map but I want to include one of the islands that was part of a map I made using Ascension's tutorial, if I cut that island out of the base layer of my Ascension map and pasted it into the new document, would anything be stuffed up? Because I know the base layer is based off the cloud layer below it, so if I copy and pasted it would it stuff up the continuity of the clouds and therefore everything else? Or are the original cloud layers you use in making the base layer only used for making the base layer and for nothing else (in which case there's no problem with me copy and pasting)?

Apologies if that's confusing, just let me know and I'll try to rephrase it. Any help is appreciated.