Thread: Nice read on the "problems" of CC licensing

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I don't think that the lawyers know anything more about these things than the artist or the layman does. I see a huge fight somewhere down the road that makes the front pages of the papers and only then will things finally get settled so that everyone can understand it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I deal with these kinds of clients in my daytime graphic design studio all the time. Nobody wants to pay much, but everybody wants revisions.

The other problem not mentioned in the thread, but happens to me all the time is customers want me to revise the 'crap' design they created themselves. Its one of the problems of the availability of graphics applications, people download them and use them, then think they are a designer, when mostly they aren't making designs, rather they are making a mess - and they want me to fix it. I usually say "No", I tell them, this is my design charge and if you want me to create something that includes the extras they didn't include, they have to pay me for the whole job including the design itself. This way its done correctly in the first place.

If they don't want to do that, I say, "Good bye".

Really that hasn't hurt my local reputation, in fact, it has helped my reputation as a professional.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

The artist here clearly understands CC licenses and why they are both good and bad and decided to do it this way because of the good parts of them. Where he mentions that the client cant kill a CC licensed piece of art is why I do a lot of my art under CC and why I think they have some very useful good points to them. Its also why I would insist on one for a community driven project where I would be expected to put in effort to an artistic pot. In this case as with most in this regard, the CC was a better option than to have done them public domain.

As I get older, wiser and more bruised by the big corp attitude to other peoples work the more I think we should say no a lot more often. Learn to say it when you need to. This guy is clearly wise enough to know that his art was more important to him than the fee for doing it. If you care more about your work than its monetary fee then its more difficult for people to negotiate offensive terms with you.

And its also another really good example why everyone here should not ignore the licensing aspects for their art.

That was an awesome read, thanks for taking the time to post that.
    I admire the artists courage and steadfastness, I left him a nice comment and wished him good karma!