Thread: New Regional Fantasy Map

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Default New Regional Fantasy Map

So here's a follow-up to the Gerse city map I created a while back for Scholastic. This one's for Elizabeth Bunce's book "Star Crossed", an earlier novel in her fantasy series and focuses on the region of Llyvraneth.

Crit's/kudos are always welcome.

Let me know if you have any specific questions &'ll I'll try to respond quickly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_Llyvraneth.jpg 
Views:	5526 
Size:	302.4 KB 
ID:	35684  

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

A fine map! A very clear style.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Neat and really nice.
    Definitely love the style.

The only things that bothers me (just a bit, don't be mad at me) are:
    - The small lake, right under "Kellespau". It sticks out. It doesn't reflect the isometric style and attracts the eye too much. Varying the thickness of the line would suffice I guess.
    It's ok with the rivers and the coasts but the lake may be changed a little bit.

- Where is the river that fills up this lake?
    We've got plenty of rivers west of the mountains but nothing East. Looks unbalanced to me.

Just my 2 cents.
    I do love the map and wish I could do the same :/

Man, you have a way with lineart .... just love the style. Use of crisp lines to outline things, and make it perfectly clear what everything is (envious... aye). Also great how the borders fit in perfectly with the drawing. Only thing I can see is that the crossed-swords somehow seem a little out of style as it's the only icon on the map, but then again maybe this is an important place that needs to stand out... cheers, DJ

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Love the forests and the little villages. Very nice, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Dain View Post
    The only things that bothers me (just a bit, don't be mad at me) are:
    - The small lake, right under "Kellespau". It sticks out. It doesn't reflect the isometric style and attracts the eye too much. Varying the thickness of the line would suffice I guess.
    It's ok with the rivers and the coasts but the lake may be changed a little bit.

- Where is the river that fills up this lake?
    We've got plenty of rivers west of the mountains but nothing East. Looks unbalanced to me.
    :/
    LOL! I would never get mad over honest crtiticisms.

I agree that the lake is a little bland and flat. I guess I was in a rhythm when drawing the shorelines and just continued on with the flattened style when drawing the lake. As for a lack of a river feeding it; I'm sure that there are lots of smaller features and streams that don't appear on the map. Maybe I should have added a tributary, but didn't think to at the time. There wasn't any mention of one in the text, so honestly it may have just slipped between the cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Djekspek View Post
    Only thing I can see is that the crossed-swords somehow seem a little out of style as it's the only icon on the map, but then again maybe this is an important place that needs to stand out... cheers, DJ
    Good eye! That's been bothering me too. For some reason it just feels a little stiff in relation to the other art. I think I may have zoomed in too far and gotten a bit nitpicky with it. Sometimes working in a digital format has drawbacks that don't occur when working on paper.

I luv the map (always loved your work), and my only questions is...why no scale bar?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I luv the map (always loved your work), and my only questions is...why no scale bar?
    I guess I could have added one but it's not really as critical in literary maps as it is in game or technical maps. Adds a bit of mystery, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Schley View Post
    I guess I could have added one but it's not really as critical in literary maps as it is in game or technical maps. Adds a bit of mystery, maybe?
    Yeah, if it's a scolastic book, then yup, those 'distances' would be covered in the prose (one would think), just a minor pet peeve of mine, love seeing the scale bar to give me feel of size.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave