Thread: Modified Earth

Default Modified Earth

Hello, I'm currently building a future earth campaign setting where parts of the world had sunken back to the sea, and other parts have risen out of the sea.

My question is, is there anyway for me to use a map of the earth(specifically northern africa, europe and western asia) to help create this?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I can't remember where the link is, but somewhere out there in the interwebs is a site where you can adjust the sea levels to see the effects it woulld have on the various landmasses.

I'm sure someone else will know what I'm talking about and be able to steer you in the right direction.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

You could raise the sea level yourself by using a low res heightmap in Fractal Terrains or Wilbur. Then superimposing the sea on a topographic map. You'd have to make sure the projections were the same. Maybe there's also a Google Earth kml out there- I'm sure there would be. Quick Google = http://flood.firetree.net/

http://merkel.zoneo.net/Topo/Applet/

You have to raise the sea by about 200m to get any global appreciable effect.

monks
    Last edited by monks; 05-10-2011 at 07:42 AM.

How would I say create new mountain ranges? Say around germany?

There must be a fair few tutorials around here on the Guild. I'd suggest using Wilbur (if you are making a heightmap) if you don't already have a software of choice. If you mean mountains as height or as a topographic map symbols- you'll find something here for both.

monks