Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: May 2011 Challenge Entry: No Title Yet

Default May 2011 Challenge Entry: No Title Yet

I wanted to experiment with some things, and the challenge is great for that. Never done a political type of map and I had some ideas on using some special brushes for drawing/painting maps. So I need to find a way to combine handdrawn and a more stylistic approach. And then see if I can end up with a polished/label-readable combined thing... To be determined how I can visualize the nation map in a way that really reflects the nation (architecture, culture, history, etc...).. no clue yet but I'll get some ideas I hope...

ok, lots of bla bla... 1st version of the stylistic political approach (struggling with the labels as usual and I may add more details or maybe different city-icons per nation.... but not sure yet) , the nation that the map is actually about, will be handdrawn/painted in the middle.

cheers, DJ

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAY_NEW02.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	35693  

Blog Entries

Looking great so far DJ. Can't wait to see more.
    I'd love to be able to find the time to take part in this month's challenge, I really don't know how you guys manage it month in, month out. :S
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Awesome land shapes and borders. Did you make those up or use a real place for reference?

thanks guys, now for the first experiment fitting a handdrawn map into this... I'm content with how the nation map is working out using new brushes, some changed symbol shapes, and a changed color palette. Didnt get a great idea yet on how to visualize the 'essence of the nation', but maybe that'll come. Also not sure yet if these styles will merge ok, it still looks kind of odd... maybe needs more tinkering. think the 'glow' maybe better not going up but going horizaontal..... Hmm... lets see how this goes

And RJB, the landshape are made up so no real reference used, just sort of scribbled along...

cheers, DJ

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAY_NEW03.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	35722  

Just gorgeous!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thats really very nice.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

That's looking great. Keep up the good work :-)
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Since this challenge is just about one nation the others don't matter so much. So I'm thinking what if you took those rays shooting up and instead had them radiate from all around and then give them a perspective tweak so that they get smaller in the back (the current top).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

thanks, and thanks Ascension thats a good one, it may indeed give back the perspective that somehow is lost as the nation is a little more tilted then the map itself... cheers, DJ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast