Thread: Map for a Novel

Guild Applicant

Post Map for a Novel

I found this site on a fuke because I was tring to get my ProFantasy to do something more than just laugh at me. I can write stories with almost no prompting, but when it comes to drawing anyhting I run into a brick wall..
    Here are the questions and if I am out of bound please let me know and I will put my tail between my legs and scurry over to the corner.
    I am writing a Fantast novel for my own enjoyment and to keep the voices in my head quiet. I would like to commission someone to make a world map for me for payment (of corse) but I do not know how to go about doing this. Can someone point me in a direction and give me a few pointers on where to go and most importantly where NOt to go. these are my funds and I will pay people for thier work, just as I would like to.

Hi Shadamar, I have moved this thread to the 'maps requested' subforum where people look for mapping commissions. Please read the sticky at the top of the sub-forum for information to put into your request. All the best,

Ravs

Guild Applicant

sorry I didn't see the other blog site... please forgive my ignorance.

Guild Applicant

as per the forum request and to be a responsible invidual.
    I’m the author of a forthcoming novel taking place on a fantasy world and would like to commission a map. As it expands into other areas I will commission additional maps that focus on different regions. I will fully enjoy collaboration with, and would love to work with a cartographer who brings his or her own vision to the project.

Style: this is a Fantasy novel based in a fantasy world. For this initial map, I’d like something that looks very different, with a focus on depicting political boundaries and basic geographical features. Future maps will provide different perspectives — for instance providing detailed different areas or showing specific cities, islands, or bridges.
    Quality & Size: The map will be displayed on a website and included in printed and e-book editions of the book. Ideally, it will be prepared in color but will also render well in black-and-white. It should meet minimum resolution standards for full-color printing. I hope to work out the technical details in consultation with the artist.
    Timeframe: To be discussed with cartographer / artist. I am a retired army veteran and I am working at my own pace and timeframe. due to my medical condition I will take my time on this.
    Work Process: I will provide a guide that details some of the worlds geography. I’m happy to defer to the artist’s work preferences, but would expect that a combination of email and phone/Skype contact will help us proceed efficiently.
    Payment: I will pay for the work in installments using PayPal or another mutually agreed upon format. Please contact me at the email address below to discuss terms. I would love to find someone who would like to help me on my project, but I know everyone has to eat and I also know that everyone would like to be paid for the work they do.
    Copyright: I will own all copyright. However, the creator of the map will receive prominent credit on the website and in all published editions where the map appears. In addition, the artist will have the right to display the map in a portfolio.
    Contact: My name is Allen. Please contact me at allenbrunner[xx]msn.com (replacing [xx] with @). Be advised thou I have several medical conditions that require me to have several or in some cases multiple appointments that takes up some of my time.. so please be patient if I don't answer you as fast as I want to answer you.

Blog Entries

I'd be interested, I've sent mail to the specified address.