Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diyun City map

Guild Novice

Looks fantastic, love the concept.

Wow, the side views really add an extra element of immersion to it.

I love the concept of this map. It is great! Talk about a natural fortress town... This place would be hard to attack!

I've been meaning to ask for a long time about your technique for drawing and shading buildings. I'd love a quick walkthrough on your technique, as I am convinced you have it streamlined far more than I do.

I am guessing you do the linework, coloring, and shading all on separate layers (in that order), then another layer for the detailing and roofing textures? Do you use the pen tool to do the layouts then stroke the result right onto the map, or do you crate tonnes of building brushes and just plop them down with the brush tool? I'm dying to know.

I'd like to echo RecklessEnthusiasm's question about your technique as your maps have been an inspiration for my own. How do you get such clean linework for example? Do you use any textures or do you just paint colours straight in? And yes, how do you go about laying down your buildings?

Guild Apprentice FrancoisGoulet's Avatar
    Blainville, Quebec, Canada (M4HG+V8 Blainville, Québec)

Soooo cool! Stunning, as usual!

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected SilenBlade's Avatar

She's a BEAUTY! Congrats

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Thanks for all the warm comments guys!

Generally, I have 4 layer groups in a file. Top group is for references, 2nd group is for text and icons, 3rd group is for inks, and the bottom group is for colors. Outside the groups are floating layers like parchments, textures, border treatments, etc. I typically create my inks first, keeping in mind that they will be used to build selection outlines and alpha channels later during the coloring phase. The process I use is actually very similar to the way comic artists digitally ink and block their own work. A big difference though is that a lot of my color layers are set to interact with the underlying parchment. Gives the maps that painterly' soaked into the fibers' feel.

In a typical image, I usually have a minimum of between 15 to 25 layers going at any given time. On top of that are a BUNCH of alpha channels to help manage colors and lighting effects.

Guild Novice

What a lovely map! Great colors and beautiful drawing.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

beautiful map as usual Mike, love your style.. and thanks for the little run through of your process
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast