Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Imperial City Of Leggarium

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip The Imperial City Of Leggarium

As the Celestial Empire grew in power so did it grow in trade and finance. The Emperor Hillon Derrix the Third declared that a great Imperial city should be built on the ruins of the ancient capital of his ancestral kingdom. This city was to be named Leggarium after his ancestor the first Emperor. The imperial designers toiled for years as design after design was rejected by the Emperor. Finally a plan was submitted that caught the favor of his grace. A city built in the shape of a star, With wedge shaped "districts" and a grand palace for the ruling family at it's center. The Emperor was greatly pleased...

One more in the Celestial Empire series. The Imperial City of Leggarium. I decided that the people (or the rulers at least) have a fixation with stars, so it makes sense that they would build their imperial capital in the shape of one. The basic layout is that the left side of the star is the "poor" section. Imperial law forbids anyone other than those either related to or chosen by the imperial family to own land or buildings. I'm imagining row house after row house in the poor or "Workers" quadrant along with markets between the wedges. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to leave the inner walls as they might make everything a little crowded. The right side of the star is the "Noble" quadrant bigger houses less markets. The center is for the imperial palace. The wide roads that make up the shape of the star would be used for parades and other spectacles to enforce the perception of the Emperor's power. There will be Star Fortress's at the "choke points" between the quadrants.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imperial city of leggariumgif.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	35700
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Very nice so far! But, it reminds me of Oblivion in some ways mostly the name and circular shape and the tower? In the middle. And or palace.

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by eViLe_eAgLe View Post
    Very nice so far! But, it reminds me of Oblivion in some ways mostly the name and circular shape and the tower? In the middle. And or palace.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I had to Google Oblivion. (Because I have never played it. A fact that I intend to rectify at some point). I didn't realize how similar they actually were. I made some changes to make this more like the Riverhewn city maps that I have done recently. Mostly I did that to make making this map a bit easier and because I really like that style of map.

Views:	151 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	35724
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

lol, now it looks more like Imperial City in TES IV

One thing I would like to suggest with "planned" city maps like that is to add a little age. By that I mean, after the plans have been drawn up and the original streetplan and buildings have been constructed, it will then begin to grow naturally (unless there is some official law preventing that, but halting growth is usually a bad policy for a prosperous city). So you have your big planned old city (the circle/star part) and then the small fauburgs (sp?) begin springing up all around the outside, generally unplanned in nature. Also, your poor districts are usually going to be on the fringe too as property in the centre/along the main roads become more desirable.

Nice pattern

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    One thing I would like to suggest with "planned" city maps like that is to add a little age. By that I mean, after the plans have been drawn up and the original streetplan and buildings have been constructed, it will then begin to grow naturally (unless there is some official law preventing that, but halting growth is usually a bad policy for a prosperous city). So you have your big planned old city (the circle/star part) and then the small fauburgs (sp?) begin springing up all around the outside, generally unplanned in nature. Also, your poor districts are usually going to be on the fringe too as property in the centre/along the main roads become more desirable.
    I actually changed the layout somewhat from the original first image. The orange (smaller) buildings on the outside of the ring are now the "workers" or "poor" section. and the inner larger buildings are for the Nobles. I decided to keep my law about no one but the royal family and nobility owning land or property. (they can bestow this honor on whomever they choose but rarely do). Todays update: I added some "texture" to the ground and added the docks. I added a few barbicans to the outside wall but I'm not sure I'm going to keep them.

Views:	89 
Size:	4.63 MB 
ID:	35760

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

A bit more of an update. I decided I liked the layout of the barbicans enough to keep them and hang my "star forts" on the end of them. I also starterd labeling. I got the english to Latin translations HERE I'm not so much concerned if it's 100% accurate. I'm more concerned that it sounds interesting. Tabernus Quadrant is the "hovels" or poor section, while "Optimus Domus" is the Nobles houses. I'm going to have to think on that font for a bit, although it fits with the overall series of these maps it is kind of hard to read on this one. I also finished up my roads.

Views:	184 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	35763

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

Well I think this is done. I might do more of the Celestial Empire Series but for now I need to focus on my Kingdom of Shendenflar stuff. (it's only been 20+ years probably time to get that wrapped up. ). I added all the usual stuff like some farms and farm houses, ships in the harbor and a bit of forest. This came out pretty good I think. It taught me some stuff and it was fun coming up with the backstory. I hope you enjoy it.

Name:	JTougasleggariumfinal.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	35788

Finished Maps

I can't say whether I like or dislike the graininess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast