Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April/May 2011 Lite Challenge Entry - Dunloch (Cad Goleór)

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Post April/May 2011 Lite Challenge Entry - Dunloch (Cad Goleór)

Dunloch: The Fort of the Lake, residing in Tulainn, a town in my Cad Goleór setting.

I decided to try a different approach than my usual. I have mixed feelings about this so far. I think some of the textured effects came out alright, but most of the colors are too bright, and the transitions are hokey. I'm not very experienced or skilled in making maps with the computer being the primary medium, and I don't have that much experience doing maps of this scale.

I've never participated in one of the contests before. Is it bad form to ask for suggestions to improve a competition entry?

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dunloch1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	35713

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's a good start, but I agree with some of the colors being to bright. The green and tan/yellow especially.

No it isn't bad form to ask for suggestions/criticism's even on a challenge entry.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Don't get too wrapped up in textures, get your colors right first. Once you've learned to get good color on a consistent basis then start fiddling with textures. Very common mistake that almost everyone makes, even me. I'd change the chartreuse green to something more olive and depending on how lush the climate is I'd also have some tan areas or darker green areas. The yellowy spots you have right now could be more tan colored. As for the water it's either a lake or a sea. If it's a lake then the shallows are going to be kind of a mud color as the water color is thinner there. If it's a sea then it's more of a tan sand color. That said, just keep plugging away at it. Very few people get things perfect the first time and we're all here to try to help you along.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well, I'm still not totally happy with it, but the colors are much better. I'm more-or-less ok with the land now (though that ring around the wooden platform is still too bright). I just need to get the water to look right. It's a lake, so I tried putting in some of the muddy coloring, but it doesn't look right yet. How do I get that to look more natural?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Dunloch2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	35716

Try lightening it up with a light blueish green or, since there is green present, just use a light blue and mess around with the blend modes.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's getting there. For a shallow water effect I generally use a light blue or green on it's own layer set to overlay. I also usually have 2 or more layers for the shallow effect so I can play with opacity to get the result I'm looking for.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks guys, it's a big help. Still don't think this is quite right though. An improvement, to be sure, but not RIGHT, yet.

I also added some shading to the fortress itself, which I think came out decently.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Dunloch3.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	35718
    Last edited by Seraphine_Harmonium; 05-11-2011 at 03:09 PM.

If you have it on its own layer just turn the opacity down. If not use a low opacity eraser.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    If you have it on its own layer just turn the opacity down. If not use a low opacity eraser.
    I'm sorry, but what are you suggesting I turn down the opacity on?

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think Ascension was talking about your shallow water layer. IMO the water is good now. I like the green as it gives it the lake-shore feel you were going for. I think your wall texture is too big. Unfortunately there is no way to scale patterns in GIMP like there is in Photoshop but you can make the source image smaller and then make a new pattern out of that. I tend to try to get the largest textures I can so that I can adjust them based on my needs. Also I would try to tone down the "dirt" a little too. If it's on it's own layer you could add a layer over it with a light to medium brown color set to overlay again (I use overlay a LOT ). It will get rid of the "highlight" effect you have now. I think your doing a great job with this. "Encounter" scaled maps are tough simply because of the scale.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast