Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing natural elements and human elements

Default Drawing natural elements and human elements

Hello! I am about to go buy some more pens for map making. For those who know me I have posted already several threads and, if you have read some of them, you know in general my style. However! For FAR TOO LONG I have been self taught! And now IT MUST CHANGE! It was for that very reason I joined anyway. So in this thread I beg of you to give me REAL critical comments on my style, but it must be on my drawing (if it is just on the general shapes, or on the layout of the forests and such things, please post it on "Six maps open for critics").

Lately I have been searching the forum of Mapping elements to find threads on hand made drawing but I am having a hard time (mayne it is because my scale is so small that I have that pressure of doing everything as small as possible???)

At my work I will soon have plenty of time to work on my maps in between calls so I am hoping to improve my drawing skills in order to redraw again (yes, AGAIN hahaha....).
    So far, here is what I am hoping to improve:
    1-My trees, making individual trees (however I did found an interesting thread about 30 trees in the forum of maping elements).
    2-Bushlands. Please, if anyone has any kind of idea on how to draw them! I keep fighting over my paper and pen and I am loosing hahahaha...
    3-Roads and borders: with a black and white style, how do I differentiate these two without being OVERSIZED?
    4-Ravines, huge cracks in the earth. Don't laugh! So far my mother tells me that my fissures look like Caterpillar. -_- ouch...

Also,, feel free to suggest me to add something new, like a new biome thing.

Sooner or later I plan to have another thread in which I will be posting my elements (trees, villages, castles and so on) But before I do that, I wish to learn!
    We all wish to create, but do we really create?
    What we draw and what we write is part of us.
    No we do not create, we simply discover who we are.
    **My maps have copyrights**

You draw with an isometric perspective (or anything with an angle) or from a top-down perspective (seen from above) ?

Mmmmm Good question Azelor. I would have to say mostlikely isometric from the South

Mmmmm On the first picture, the drawing of the chasm gave me inspiration. At least now I know what to do for ravines and the such. As for the trees,the pine trees are quite nice. Still, as for the bushes I guess labeling will do it. I Wonder though, where is the line between representation and labeling? Sometimes I really Wonder if I just make things complicated for nothing, if "je me casse la tęte", like we would say in french. I am thinking of having more symbols for human elements, Especially for ruins. I plan to have a different Icon for magical ruins and historical ruins. (the second being the most numerous). As for trees, I think I will wait tomorow when I will scan what icons and symbols and textures I have.

to nr. 4 Ravines...i fround good inspiration from Erwin Raisz (ask google Erwin Raisz maps ).
    to trees...i paint on my maps right now 4 diferend types of trees. conifere, leaved tree, savanna tree and palm tree. i paint them with fine liner, it depents on the map ( example, my mountains are 0,8 mm so the trees are 0,1 mm fine liner).
    need some example? there are traditonal work so fine liner and aquarell

Errrmm... I think I need to work on having different liners... All the time I use 0.05... Maybe it explains why I have such a hard time to make a variety of symbols
    I used a ruler and I noticed that msot of my symbols, mountains aside, are between 1 and 2 mm...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	symbols 001.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	302.6 KB 
ID:	85627Well, here is a compilation of symbols I came up with,

Name:	Baum1.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	397.0 KB 
ID:	85634

Name:	beispielbaum2.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	441.2 KB 
ID:	85635

Name:	riss1.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	398.0 KB 
ID:	85636

Here are my trainings tress and some details in maps the tree examples you can see how the mm in fine liner make the different.
    in the map details you can see how the mm make the different.
    Hope it helps

Mmmmm... I believe I will work alot on the fissures in the earth. But the problem with the trees is that... I DRAW EVERYTHING WAY TOO SMALL! O_O And I draw everything with the 0.05... Maybe I should change that as well...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast