Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Commission rates for Fantasy Maps in books... HELP!!!

Congratulations! Be sure to let us know how it goes for you, and if your client permits, please post the finished map here for us to admire!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thank you. I will ask him when I finish it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

congrats on the commision - and yes, please post the finished map if allowed so. Sometimes you can get permission in low resolution or with a watermark over it.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    ... I've never made more than $150 for a map, usually a third of that is closer to the norm.
    Just reading through this - man, someones getting a deal!

Yeah, well, I mostly only have time for maps for my own projects these days, as I also have to make filler illustrations, ad creation, page layout (with numerous corrections) - so much less time for maps in general. So nobody is getting this deal for the time being, except me. My first adventure The Gift (for Kaidan) has gotten six 5 star ratings, my In the Company of Tengu has gotten three 5 star ratings and one 4 star rating. And adventure 2: Dim Spirit is being released in PDF tomorrow. I'm working on 30 Ancestral Relics for Kaidan (magic items like Legacy Weapons) and will soon be having to the layout for The Way of the Yakuza. Also on the proposal table is 30 monsters and monster templates for Kaidan, called Obake Bestiary. Busy guy and I.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Wow, GP, you ARE busy!

Well, the map is finished and I have permission to post it. Perhaps I'll start a new thread with the picture... idk. how does one post a picture in this forum anyway?

I found a comment over at Board Game Geek I thought I'd share here:

"When you hire an artist, you're paying for a lot. Your paying primarily for the copyright, or the right to copy the artwork, not just for the artist's time. This can get complicated, because you may want to do multiple print runs or reuse an image in other places, and the respectable thing would be to pay the artist more in those circumstances. You're also paying for their expertise and skill level, as well as how fast you need the artwork and how in-demand the artist is. Costs are high for a lot of practical reasons as well: software and computer costs, art supplies, insurance and other benefits (that the artist would get in a full time job), self-employment tax... it's all out of pocket for someone self-employed. If you're paying a professional freelance artist minimum wage, you are definitely not paying them enough. It just isn't sustainable long term if art is their full time occupation.

Average cost per hour for a graphic designer is $65 and illustrators often charge per project, a small (that is, in size) illustration running $150-300 average for a color job. Of course, royalties (for illustration) can help offset a high start-up cost. An overall flat fee is customary, and you may find something cheaper, as was already stated, in a bulk deal. If it's only graphic design that you are looking for, and it's not complicated work, you're far more likely to succeed in finding someone willing to simply do layout work for a good price. So yeah... you have to be real serious about it. Remember, a good artist and quality materials are investments. Also, I second Mr. Nick Hayes. Hope this is helpful. "
    I want to add in the cost for a professional also likely includes *limited* changes if you don't like the initial artwork/sketch and needs to be changed. You're paying for the person's time, resources and skill in working on the artwork, so while it may seem high per piece, you're also paying for the quality of the final product and on a specified timeline that the professional will meet and will be working on carefully to the deadline.
    EDIT: Should have added the link - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...ost-of-artists

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by Star-dreamer View Post
    Wow, GP, you ARE busy!

Well, the map is finished and I have permission to post it. Perhaps I'll start a new thread with the picture... idk. how does one post a picture in this forum anyway?
    And now that I am freelancing for Paizo, it looks like they are 'spinning gears on ways to keep me constantly busy', so likely I have and endless array of freelance cartography and game development at least for the next few years - we'll see how that goes.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Cool find Rob... I just posted a quick reply re: copyright vs license....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well, I can't figure out how to post jpegs, so here is the link: http://dragonblade99.deviantart.com/...quot-211168481

Done digitally, but all the brushes used are mine, done freehand. I'm gonna start practicing some pencil work too, pretty soon.

Thanks again for all the advice. *thumbs up*
    Last edited by Star-dreamer; 07-26-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast