Thread: Commission rates for Fantasy Maps in books... HELP!!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Commission rates for Fantasy Maps in books... HELP!!!

Hello,

I'm new to the guild although I've enjoyed looking at maps for a long time... especially ones placed at the beginning of fantasy books. I always feel a little disappointed when I open a new book and there's no map in the front. I've drawn maps out longhand before, but only recently have I taken to editing them digitally and I'm enjoying the results.

Today an author contacted me asking if he could commission me to do a map for his YA Fantasy book which will be published through AMG in the summer. I've had some contact with this author before and I was even able to meet him once. The problem is, I know nothing about commission rates and/or royalties for illustrations/maps. Should I even ask for royalties, or is that only when dealing with publishers? Does anyone else know what I should ask for? Would anyone be willing to give me some advice?

He wants a map similar in style to the one I created for my WIP. Here's the link to that map: http://dragonblade99.deviantart.com/#/d3g3p30
    Last edited by Star-dreamer; 05-11-2011 at 07:23 PM.