Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domus

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

Wip Domus

So I started working on my new world. I decided this time to start it in FT Pro for several reasons. One it gives me more realistic altitude. It gives me reference on climate and most importantly, it creates relatively accurate rivers which means less chance of the river police coming after me. I plan on using the FT map as a reference for drawing in CC3.

Here is the FT map. Other then the stupid straight line river (which FT forces on me unless I put it in Orthographic (Globe) format) are there any other obvious errors, comments or suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Domus 0-019-1.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	35761  

Looks like a nice map. You've got a couple of rivers in there that don't reach the sea, which means they're hitting a lake or below-sealevel pothole. I always enjoy seeing other folks' FT work, so I can compare with my own and maybe learn a new trick.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

I see two in the northern part of the huge continent (How I missed the one is beyond me) Do you see more then the two rivers?

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

I see three in total. I only caught one in the northern part of the big continent, but look at the mountain in the middle of the south-western part of it. There are two river-networks coming down off the north side that never reach the sea.

I see all of those, and only one had some pot holes. I have no idea why the others aren't going to a river. So what I think I will do is in CC3 just pretend those rivers don't exsist

One possibility is that it's hitting the original (pre-rotation) line of 0 longitude. FT has some issues with calculating flow across that boundary.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Wip

So I've been working on Domus a little and I made some adjustments. There are still one or two river errors if you zoom in on the ft file but I plan on ignoring those (either erasing the river or by extending it) in CC3 when I export it. I added some desert, some Savannah and some grasslands to the map. I set the climate image to one of the terraformer climates and the altitude to one of the true color terraformer altitudes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Domus 0.026.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	36263  

Looks good! Looking at those two rivers again, it doesn't look like it's the 0 Longitude line issue, since they don't line up vertically. My guess is that there's a couple of potholes in there where the elevation drops below 0, but are so small they disappear on large views like this one. The River engine stops drawing a river when it hits the water line.

------

I zoomed in as far as I can on them and saw nothing at or below 0' altitude, but i shall continue looking

I'd offer to help look, but unfortunately I don't think that's possible, due to the reliance on random numbers in the generation of a world. I zoomed in on that section of your jpeg, but couldn't see anything. About the only other possibility I can think of is that the pothole is somewhere in the middle of the river rather than the end, and that each of them is actually 2 different rivers converging on a point, rather than a single river moving to an endpoint. Good luck!

------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast