Thread: The Thorpe Sea [WIP]

Wip The Thorpe Sea [WIP]

Hello Regional/World Mapping!
    Longtime lurker/recent poster here. I've been advised that the best way to get the ball rolling for me is to hop on in and make a WIP thread and take some pointers from you more knowledgeable types.so here goes. This was a quick overland-map I made about a year ago for DnD, was in one of those situations where my group basically told me to throw something together...and so I did. If I remember correctly it was made with some random fractal generator thingy that was online, I believe it was this feller http://donjon.bin.sh/world/, and then touched up in GIMP some (and a compass rose plastered on their pretty much straight from google images). As you can see, it's pretty bad. No terrain or features, the islands are puny compared to the scale I wanted to use, nothing's labeled...and what's worse all that I have is the JPEG, and not the gimp file.
    So, I'm really here for advice. I like the general shape of everything, so I think I'm going to just trace a new layer over top of that, which means I'll be able to tune up some of the horrible jaggediness of some of the coastline, but where do I go from there? Rivers, mountains, forests, towns? Or is there a better order to do things in. Anyway, any input on this POSIP would help me out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldmap.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	35769

Wip

I've redone the borders using GIMP, (I think I should have used a smaller brush size...well the pen probably would have been best, but it frustrates me) I was able to clean up the coastlines a little bit, as well as change up some of the islands to make them less teenytiny. I kept most of the rough look on the south-western continent to make it a little more extreme and harsh looking. Was this a good idea, or should I have kept it more unified? I think I'm going to toss in some mountain ranges and rivers tomorrow, if I have any spare time.

Also, I'm sorry about the Grade-5 colour scheme, I know it's very Crayola 8 pack, but it's only temporary until I figure out exactly what style I want to go with.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thorpe.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	35774

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think the color scheme and heavy line would work great for a kids book or anime or something so that's kind of cool actually. Lightening the colors would make it atlasy and darkening them would make it more satellitey.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps