Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May 2011 Challenge Entry - Hassassine

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Default May 2011 Challenge Entry - Hassassine

With so many big guns coming out this month I figured that I better do one up as well and see how I stack up. I wanted to do a simple atlas map with solid colors and no texture as you'd find in any bookstore but I didn't want to do up that many labels. So I'm going with something more stylish. With three other maps going on this one might only get half done but here's where I am right now after one night of messin' around. Not sure where I'm going to go from here - like what sort of icon style I'll do for towns n such or if there will be any indication of terrain. Most of my thoughts are on Kilkenny Castle and surrounds for a stained glass client whose ancestors settled the area so I'm being pulled in many directions this month. So anyway, here we go.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	May2011challenge.jpg 
Views:	12631 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	35780  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Already looks great.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

colors already looking very good (and the bright spot on the peninsula is already screaming for some major point of interest) so I hope you can finish this. But also gratz on doing a stained glass based on Kilkenny Castle... Ireland is one of my favorite countries (and I bet very inspiring for artwork) and Kilkenny is a very nice place (and has great beers too cheers, DJ

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

awesome job so far. I love the look you've already achieved. My only "personal" criticism is the big drop shadow. I'm not a fan of the floating map feel. It's okay on the major land mass, but looks odd on the smaller outlying islands. Totally a personal preference - you take this map where you want. I'm sure you'll have an awesome piece.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm leaning towards giving the islands a smaller, closer drop.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

I decided to get bold, like my father. But I'm also never satisfied, like my mother. Weeping doves aside here's where I be.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	May2011challengeb.jpg 
Views:	9823 
Size:	3.17 MB 
ID:	35792  

Wow.. Thats amazing!!

Blog Entries

Loving it so far, A. Hehe, this month is gonna be a bitch to vote on I can see. :S
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast