Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Niil (v2)

Wip [WIP] Niil (v2)

Hello everybody !

The last time I presented you some of my work was a long time ago, but I'm back ^^
    I'm still French , so my English is still not perfect.

So, this is the new version of the map of my RPG world, Niil. The previous one was elaborated here.
    This time, I try to make something more realistic, "geographically & geologically-speaking".
    I also decided that I definitely prefer hand-drawn style, but because I'm a very bad "hand-drawer", I tried to make my hand-drawn-style-map with GIMP and these site's tutorials.
    And because you definitely rock, I think I made it ^^

Here's the result without labels ; they will be in French, I know perfectly what font I'll use, and they are not really interesting for you I think.
    There are no towns and roads too ... I just forgot them, but they aren't really important too

The area in orange is a rock desert created by magic, that's why there's no transition between the grass and the desert.
    The plate in the north is also some magic stuff.
    They are the only things in the map which are not supposed to look realistic.

I don't already know if I'll use the one with colours, or the one without.

So, what do you think of all of it ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fond_couleur.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	35783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fond_nb.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	35784  

I think it looks very very good zoomed out :] not as much zoomed in though! But, still brilliant work!

Thanks

I think it's normal it looks better zoomed out than zoomed in, because of the use of GIMP brushes to make the mountains and the forests ; maybe you "feel" the repetition and don't like it, if you see what I mean
    But I don't know how I can fix this. Any idea ?

Here is the new version, with some improvements :
    - the trees are more spaced ; this makes the map lighter and more beautiful, in my opinion of course ^^
    - all the labels, the cities and the roads are present ; and with the roads come some nice little bridges
    - I've changed the coasts' decoration
    - I've change the west mountains to make them less linear

I'd like to make some foam at the bottom of the plate in the north-west, but I don't see how to make it with GIMP.

It's only black&white for now, I'll add the colours in the end, after you tell me what can be still improved.

Name:	carteN&B.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	35801  
    Last edited by Elvith Gent; 05-16-2011 at 04:23 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I would keep it black and white, looks better to me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I really do agree !
    First, I thought that adding colours will make the map look more finished ; but indeed, I prefer it black & white.

Does anybody think it's really better with colours ?

Belgium - Lands of chocolate and the Marsupilami

hEy ! Elvith... Nice to see somme new stuff of Niil

Your maps looks great.

Keep on mapping, old Chap'

J'ai dit une connerie ?
    C'est peut être un détail pour vous,
    Mais pour moi, ça veut dire beaucoup

Mörkhdull : pas de connerie, non ^^

----------------------

Only some minor changes this time ; I'll let you find them if you really want to !

And I think this could be the final one !

Of course, if you have any comment, idea or suggestion, come on ! It's now or never
    Especially, if anyone knows how to make the scum in the bottom of the plate ...

Edit : I've just noticed some hills still in white on the first one ; it's a layer issue already fixed on my computer. So, no, it's not really the final map ^^

Name:	carte.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	35831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carteN&B.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	35832  
    Last edited by Elvith Gent; 05-15-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Not too shabby. I have no idea what you mean by scum...could you provide an example?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Oh, sorry, I mean foam. For the only word I searched on it, Google Translate killed me -_-
    My RPG website (in French !) : le monde de Niil

Still not sure what you mean by foam at the bottom of the plate. Do you mean sea waves or sea foam?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast