Thread: Mountains in Gimp

Help Mountains in Gimp

Hello! I'm trying to make some mountains for a map I'm working on in GIMP, following along with RobA's Simple mountain tutorial, but everything I make keeps coming out really harsh, the mountains look alright themselves, except for the border where they start doesnt seem to blend in with the ground at all. I've tried re-adjusting the levels and curves for the different layers, but nothing seems to come out quite right, and I've gone through the tutorial thrice now. Any suggestions?

Show us a view of the problem - I can't picture which of the many mountain styles you might be talking about.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troublewithmountains.jpeg 
Views:	122 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	35798 This little guy...for some reason I think it's the selection mass that's somehow making a really strong border...it's more evident on the larger ones.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Take a low-opacity eraser and erase that edge so that it becomes softer and blends better.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

well, that's disappointingly simple Thanks!

You might find a better solution using a layer mask and spray painting white or black on it in order to create a nice gradual effect.....believe me took me forever to figure this out but the bonus is you won't accidentally erase too much.

If you are new to GIMP then you may not know much about how masks work but they are great for this. Read Award-Winner-Explanation-of-Layer-Masks-in-GIMP-and-PS and your time will not have been ill spent.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks Jaxilon, I'll give that a try. I've been fiddling with erasing a little bit now and can't quite get things exactly how I like them. I've also been debating trying something else because I'm not sure if I'll be content with that style now that I'm getting more done on other aspects.