"Map a nation"... hmmm. I have a whole bucket of those around here somewhere.

Meet Basse-Georges, a constituent republic of Haromszek, on the world of Scandia. It's like this - once upon a time, around a decade ago I learned of the geofiction game(s) of ImagiNations. Free-form nationbuilding with international interaction on a discussion board - at that time I think a Yahoo Group. The world was pretty full; dozens of active nations, only one likely piece of territory for me to play, and that was one somebody had started and abandoned. I took it as a challenge to see if I could do my own thing yet remain backwards-compatible with what the false-start guy had built. Which wasn't much, but a few web pages and a handful of interactions on the world scene. I took the name he'd used, Haromszek, even though I prefer not to make fictional places using real-place names. There's a real Haromszek. Oh, well.

I started to gen up a country, when I realized to my horror the sheer size of the area. I had no desire for something grandiose, but rather than a chunk of dirt the size of, say, some middling European nation, this was as much territory as the whole blooming European Union ! Oof. Well, maybe I could instead devise a federation of sorts, a bunch of *related* nations? Ooh-kaaaaay, so I wound up with a fractious pack of twenty-five mostly sovereign nations, which are in some ways treated as a single entity (so the other players, I mean Scandian nations would have one point of contact) yet in other ways which do their own thing (like some are members of the Scandian United Nations, and some aren't). The result has been an insane amount of creative opportunity... I was determined that these not be peas in a pod. Some of those twenty-five I have already mapped. I've done some maps of the overall thing. I've even detailed Basse-Georges, just no maps other than a bare locator:
Name:  BasseGeorgesLocator.gif
Views: 252
Size:  8.2 KB