Thread: WIP or finished ? map : Ilha da bracadeira

Guild Novice

Map WIP or finished ? map : Ilha da bracadeira

Hello,

I just finished my first map, thanks to all tutorials here and some nice people how give very very nice tips.

I ask the advice of all great cartographers here to help me improve this map and the other who will come after.

This small island is a part of my new World Project call Ienila.
    If your arecurious, some of detail about this project are written here : http://zephirice.deviantart.com/gallery/24963006.

Here is the map : don't hesitate to critic but remember that I'm a newbie.

I used Gimp 2.6 pack mode to make it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iledelapince_IlB_sud.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	35810

thanks to all for your help and guidance .

NB: in the case that there is some portguese people I will be glad to here the right translation of the name of this island, in order to be sure that it's the same meaning that I want to have... ^^;

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks really good for a first map. I really like the compass and the labels. You have a couple of "river violations" most notably the lake with two rivers coming out of it. and the "delta" for lack of a better term in the southern area. Also the blue jagged border looks a bit odd to me. All in all it's a great looking map. Nice Job.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

There's a lot here but none of it is meant to be mean - just some friendly advice. With everything else looking like it was inked with black I would make the rivers black as well. Also, it looks like all the rivers flow from the sea to the lake...that is backwards so have one river coming out of the lake going to the sea and many go into it (from the mountains). For the town dots, red is fine but smaller and sharper (not so fuzzy or blurry). Your coastline could stand to be thicker as it should be one of the most important features...make it thick like the mountains. The mountains in the middle and bottom are in a weird place, they cut across and island instead of running the length of the island plus most of the others are right on the coast. Move them inland so that they form a "backbone" for the rest of the land to cling to. It is okay to have some near the coast, though. It looks like you have a bunch of different trees going on, some blurry some sharp. Now the good - composition is nice, contrast is good, land shape is interesting...rearrange the mountains and rivers and this will look real nice. Your designs for the compass and little shields are bold and cool. Overall, some minor tweaks and you've got a real nice map.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Some of your city names are getting obscured by the lines around the coast. You might want to either give the labels a small glow effect of some kind, or move them around so they will be easier to read. Beyond that, I'd say everything has been covered by these fine gentlemen. Great job, especially for a first map, and welcome to the guild!

Guild Novice

Hello,

Thanks you for your advices ! specially "Ascension" for all details !

I will try to change everything like everyone said. However the fact that there is a big chain of mountain, "weird chain of mountain" is a little bit normal ^^; because it's normally not a normal chain of mountain in this world .

The mountains in the middle and bottom are in a weird place, they cut across and island instead of running the length of the island plus most of the others are right on the coast. Move them inland so that they form a "backbone" for the rest of the land to cling to. It is okay to have some near the coast, though.
    Could you explain me how doing that because, for me I don't see any problem

For the tree, I confess that I used some of them from a collection of brush because I don't find what I want ( and I'm really bad at drawing ^^''''')

For the rivers, how I can make them going out the lake and go to the sea ? Do I make the line bigger ?

For the town, Thanks I don't think about that before .

Thank you everyone for your help, I will correct and post the new version ask for your advice again .

NB: sorry for my bad english :s It's not my mother tongue

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The best thing would be for me to show you. I'll post something up later to explain what I mean.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Ok ok thanks you very much . I will wait your answer )

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ahem! River Police here! The river in the middle I don't buy, but I guess you can do it if you support it with mountains, but the big violation is the three rivers that originate from the lake in the southwest. I don't believe that at all, too much splitting up there. Those river types, you know, they are a tight bunch, and usually congregate instead of dividing up.

Guild Novice

thanks for your explanation. But As I said just before, I will change them to be sure that there is not problem in that. For the Lake on the southwest of the map, normally, the rivers from the left ( small mountain) and south ( big mountain) are the place where the water come from . (A lake can have more than one rivers that bring water. It's not impossible ?.)
    For the reunion of them I will see how to do this. Thanks again =)