Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: May 2011 Challenge Entry - Saythen Empire

So, then it occurs to me this morning... I have this huge wealth of information and data on the area - rainfall, temperature, elevation, vegetation, the ability to rotate and view the map in 3 dimensions, why am I restricting myself to a single view that has had it's size and resolution restricted? So I'm working on a larger collage of images. Not sure how well it will turn out or how far I'll get in the time left to me, but we will have to see. I'll post something up later today hopefully.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Oh... argggg! World Machine doesn't save the camera angles used. I've been editing the images across all 3 programs back and forth to get the right looks, using file links so that a change in the PS file output is reflected in the other two without having to continually re-import and place every time I update something. Same thing for the WM, I had views set up for each angle I was using in the collage in Inkscape, so that I could place the labels and text there and not have to worry about it changing. It turns out that if I close and reopen WM, the views I had are now losts, and I'll have to try and manually match them back up to what I had, OR do new ones and manually rearrange all the labels to the right places. *mutter, grumble*
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Behold! The Collage! I'll probably add some text to the map, whack out a legend or something. But even if I don't do anything further I think it's worth submitting as is.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sayth_Collage.jpg 
Views:	1234 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	36021

------

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

hey I like that - nice work.

Unless I find an error, I think this is the final submission. I leave it up to your imagination who, what, or how is viewing this information...

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	3296 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	36057

Update: Of course, 5 minutes later, I found an error.... *facepalm*
    Update 2: Some minor formatting changes, nothing major.
    Last edited by Master TMO; 05-25-2011 at 09:18 PM.

------

That's looking very good! Great idea to get all these zoom-levels and different angles in. cheers, DJ

NEW VERY FINAL FINAL VERSION! THE MOST FINAL OF ALL FINAL VERSIONS! THIS IS THE LAST FINAL VERSION! THERE WILL BE NO MORE FINAL VERSIONS AFTER THIS FINAL VERSION!

Heehee.. I feel like I've posted about 6 'final' versions of the map. But this is really the final final version. Unless I find a mistake, which has happened before. However, that's probably not real surprising considering that in the process of creating this I installed and used two completely new programs. The learning curve on both of those added an extra level of difficulty. I may wind up looking back on this after a few months or years and thinking it's a totally crude newbie creation, but right now I'm really pleased with it.

I like the pseudo-photo-realistic style (or photo-unrealistic as I've taken to calling it). I'll probably wind up paying for the regular World Machine program to get rid of the resolution limits.

Best of luck to the rest of the entries!! I don't know yet who I'll be voting for.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	382 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	36143

------

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good. Can't wait for the next update.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Looks pretty good. Can't wait for the next update.
    I keel you! Keel you ded!

------

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master TMO View Post
    NEW VERY FINAL FINAL VERSION! THE MOST FINAL OF ALL FINAL VERSIONS! THIS IS THE LAST FINAL VERSION! THERE WILL BE NO MORE FINAL VERSIONS AFTER THIS FINAL VERSION!
    So... I guess your done with this then, huh?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast