Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3d WatchTower

Nice model, but I don't like the textures. They are too clean, sometimes repeat e.g. at the stone stairs and you can see seams e.g. the ground floor (just my humble opinion). Texturing a model can be very stupid work and it can take as long as building the model, but the result will be worth it.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected SilenBlade's Avatar

You are 100% Right Katto, texturing is hardest work in 3d. I'm new in 3d modeling and texturing just like I'm new i cartography. Also with texturing the problem is to get really good semless texture with realy good size. But i will do my best to get better and better in it

Glad you are not offended from my post. We are a very polite community here and normally you won't get harsh criticism until you ask for it. But IMO this is the only way to improve...
    I am also relative new to modeling and texturing, but I've learned a lot from the things build so far. Have you textured the tower inside Modo or did you use UV maps? The best resource for materials I've found so far is here.

thanks for link, if some one want to offend you, you can feel it. But i can't agree with your opinion at 100% that textures are to clean. It depends what do you looking for. If photorealistic - yes to clean, if game type- like settlers 2 it look good except not to good semless textures . Anyway - thanks again for your opinions - you can't learn anything without good criticism, and thanks again for texture base

You're right. I'm the realistic guy

Tribute to Katto. Thanks for texture link - I'm working now with stone textures, I'v discovered how to make UV Normal maps and now i hope it's not to clean. Next i will work with wood and roof tiles. What do you think Katto?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watch_tower_retexture.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	299.4 KB 
ID:	35876

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SilenBlade View Post
    ...But please do not ask for minas tirith
    Were looking for anything at all. Right now we have maybe a tower or two but we know that some of the classic places exist in some kind of object form out there. But places like Bree which are made up of lots of small houses and towers not unlike the one you have posted would be very useful. So just more of the same like these really. That would be a great help in itself.

Minas Tirith was mapped in some considerable detail in the "Minas Tirith Project" but that has since faded away. There are still some YouTube videos of it tho.

Oh and your new textures look great. If your looking for something to make seamless textures then there is a post on this guild about them I made with a script which will generate them from any image. Also RobA turned that script into a Gimp python script to do automatically in that app too.

Wow, that's pretty cool alright! Kudos man, it looks great.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Redrobes - ill try to make something for you. I have my own method for making seamless textures, maybe its not perfect as scripts but... when youhave no script you waste o time for searching it Tomorow i'll try to make a little tutorial with it But thanks for info

a quick one is here
    1. Get image that you like to make seamless
    2. Open it in PS (Photoshop, GIMP, sumopainter, etc.)
    3. Divide it to four identical squares (photoshop rullers)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zrzut ekranu 2011-05-18 (godz. 00.00.41).png 
Views:	65 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	35877
    4. Select one of sqares and move it to opposite corner, and do that same thing with the rest of them like on a picture below

Name:	Zrzut ekranu 2011-05-18 (godz. 00.02.18).png 
Views:	64 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	35878
    5. After that you should get something like that

Name:	tiles.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	35879
    6. Doesn't look so good ? Here is hardest part, take a stamp tool and fix it, take your time, if you spend more time with it, it will look better at the end
    7. You should get something like that

Name:	Zrzut ekranu 2011-05-18 (godz. 00.04.23).png 
Views:	65 
Size:	379.3 KB 
ID:	35880
    8. It tooks no more than 7 min with writing this short tutorial, it's your seamless texture.
    9. Well done, hope you like it
    Last edited by SilenBlade; 05-17-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast