Thread: My first map - The Avalon :p

Default My first map - The Avalon :p

Hi everybody,

I'm having a project in the school (create your own country). And this is my first map, I don't have much experience in map making, so please, I need your advice and suggestions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avalon.jpg 
Views:	1272 
Size:	606.0 KB 
ID:	35875  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd like to know what the scale is because it looks like there is very little space to get a ship through there into Camelot. If that little space is actually a mile or so then it's all good. I don't see anything that needs changing or fixing...solid work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow. All these really great first maps are making me realize how bad I was when I started. Great Great Job !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Journeyer

Looks awsome, but since its for school may i suggest ditching the name Azeroth, even a teacher might recognize it from World of Warcraft (you would be surprised just how many teachers play) and knock off a couple marks. Urza from magic the gathering (i am assuming) should be different enough to not get noticed. MOAR rivers please and trees in the ring of mountains would finish it off nicely too I think.

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Using names like Avalon and Camelot, you are obviously invoking Arthurian legend. Just how like the England of King Arthur is the country this map reflects?

Beautiful map. I very much like how the name "Avalon" is blended into the background of the ocean. I didn't even notice it at full view, but it's right there when you pull out. That can be a neat effect. Well done.

I like the subtle labeling in the ocean. If it's for a class, that's a bit like a commission - trying to meet the specifications of someone else. Unless you have a teacher with the wisdom to turn students loose to follow their own imaginations :-). Will the teacher expect something to distinguish your country from its surroundings - a border? As Ascension said, a scale would be nice - a huge help to understanding whether this is a vast empire or a pocket kingdom.

Do you get to detail the nation in other ways than a map? Worldbuilding / nationbuilding can be a hobby all its own - see references to geofiction. Is the teacher using this as an integrated approach to several academic subjects? Geography is obvious, but a canny teacher might involve science, literature, creative writing, history...

Welcome to the Guild!