Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commission: An Island Kingdom

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip Commission: An Island Kingdom

I must be getting old I'm not sure of the name of this region (the base map was cropped) and I forgot to ask. Regardless it's a commission for blackmagicweaver I have the basic landmass and the rivers and lakes laid out in this update. The client is looking for a "hand-drawn" style so there will be no textures on this just muted colors. (Which will make a nice change from all the over-the-top textured things I've been doing lately).

This map is All Rights Reserved.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jtougascarridonmapwip2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	348.7 KB 
ID:	35881
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

LOL! I reckon I DID leave that part out!

The Ilse of Sagemora!

Blog Entries

Wip

I present the Isle of Sagemora. Tonights update: I fiddled around with colors and the Northern forest. I'm not 100% sure about the trees but there will be several locations in the forest so for now they are just place markers.

Name:	Jtougascarridonmapwip2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	35883
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Apprentice

There is a river-violation, since a river never runs from sea to sea - but apart from that, it looks like it's shaping up.

Blog Entries

I didn't actually create the base map for this. I tend not to fix the clients original designs as I assume there is a reason for why things are the way they are. Thanks.

Finished Maps

Hmm. I see that there is a lake with multiple rivers running from it to different coasts. Does that defy the laws of geography?

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmagicweaver View Post
    Hmm. I see that there is a lake with multiple rivers running from it to different coasts. Does that defy the laws of geography?
    Lakes generally can have many inlets but usually only one outlet (there are exceptions to this but they are usually non-natural and temporary). The Northern river probably wouldn't split like it does and flow down to the southern river through the lake. I can fix that If you'd like. I just left it alone as is my custom. I went back and started this over as I wasn't at all happy with the forests. I've changed them and started to add the locations around the island.

Name:	Jtougassagemorawip2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	604.7 KB 
ID:	35899

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Lakes generally can have many inlets but usually only one outlet (there are exceptions to this but they are usually non-natural and temporary). The Northern river probably wouldn't split like it does and flow down to the southern river through the lake. I can fix that If you'd like. I just left it alone as is my custom. I went back and started this over as I wasn't at all happy with the forests. I've changed them and started to add the locations around the island.

Name:	Jtougassagemorawip2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	604.7 KB 
ID:	35899
    Well sir, thats why I came to the experts. If you see rivers that dont look like they would behave like real rivers, then by all means make it believable! You wield the paint brush!
    The river that flows from the castle past the tower to the west is very important. The split that leads southeast to the larger lake is not important.

I do like the forests as well, and I really like the location icons you used.

Blog Entries

Wip

I spent the afternoon trying some different things with this. I finished the locations and labeling. I didn't fix the rivers as I went to work on this before I read your reply. I will go back and fix it. This is the result of the afternoons work. I ended up using a handmade brush for the forests and made all the location icons myself as well. The previous versions were pre-made brushes from other artists. The watermark is to protect the map the finished piece won't have that.

Name:	Jtougassagemoramapwipfinal.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	35929

Finished Maps

Very sweet.
    2 things. I like the location Icons better in the previous version for the castle, ruins, and towers. Im not a big fan of the Druid Stone as it looks like a pyramid on the map insteag of a stonehenge like column.

Also, thecity at the south end of Big River has no name. Can we name that one Havenport?

ANd last, the walled cities are pretty big and look a tad out of scale, could we shrink them just a tad? Havenpot is supposed to be right at the mouth of the river, but do to the size it looks like its aroud the bend of the coast.

Aside from that, Im in love with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast