Thread: Hi folks

Default Hi folks

I'm a fantasy writer who needs to map her world and is too broke at present to hire a cartographer/artist. Plus also making the map is a great way to avoid writing. I use GIMP and have been tearing my hair out "translating" PSspeak into GIMP2.6speak. And of course I must jump in at the deep end because that's how I'm wired. Anyway, this is a terrific site and I've already gotten further along with my project than I ever thought possible. Thanks to all the tutorial writers.

I'd post something encouraging about showing us what you have but that would be a tad hypocritical given that I've yet to post any of my maps here. (This weekend, I swear!) I thankfully am in a more comfortable position to ask what sort of fantasy setting you're using.

I am stupid enough to share. This is the setting to the first book in my series. This is most of a quarter-hemisphere. I think. The main continent in the picture is home to the Tremontine Empire; the demarcations are mostly of the Tremontine duchies, though the northern section leading into what will be the polar cap is not; it's called the Northern Wastes. The island or small continent to the east is Sairland; below Tremont's continent (I need to name that thing) is the continent of Inchar, home to many kingdoms and principalities and currently being colonized by the Tremontines.

The setting is Victorian-ish but there is no gunpowder. Humans are the only race. There is magic, but it is concentrated in the hands of a few and is generally doubted to exist by many. The society--the world--is pantheistic; the eight Gods come down into a human embodiment once a year on their respective holidays, but few get to see Them.

I've got this sucker built out to the point that I know the cheeses of each region. (Hey, a reader asked me and I discovered I knew the answer.) The first book is out and it's WAY past time I got a map together.

The cool thing is I generated its shape the random way and within three or four difference cloud attempts I got this. And it's remarkably--scarily--like the rough sketches I've made. I just need to figure out how to take it to an acceptable finish.

So here tis, in all its unfinished glory. You'll probably recognize the tutorials I've been using.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

It seems like you are off to a good start. You may want to create a WIP thread in the appropriate forum and post there to get more C&C.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thank you, I'll do that. Though at this rate I'm head-desking enough that I may just hope I get enough in pre-sales to hire someone to finish. Then again, I've got till October to tinker with it. Then again, I've got this damn book to finish...

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild. Looks pretty great to me.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I've started a WIP thread with the latest iteration of this map. Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild... and nice start
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise