Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: February Entry: Werthers Skull

Blog Entries

Ok Im done. Just as a refresher, I took this image as a starting point :-

http://www.rodneymatthews.com/gfx/elric7.jpg

and the back story is basically above which is that in some out of time, out of place on the Astral plane the Githyanki were holding fort inside their converted deity skeleton battling some unknown high magic force when the whole thing was hit by multiple prismatic sprays sending the, unusually magic resistant, skeleton hurtling dimensionally across the aether landing buried in sandy rock on some distant and very inhospitable outer plane.

The party consisting of a few extra high level characters have discovered the skull as time has whittled the sand away leaving the hard bone skull. Still with some of its Gith interior apperel, the party have converted this as their hideaway and base.

On the top floor is stashed the mountain of gold pieces and other valuables. On the next level down is the warriors and clerics. The next is the powerful wizard (wearing red robes of course...) and then on the lower level is the continually full water pool.

The four levels are drawn top down scaled to fit, then there is the piece de resistance cutaway (which was a lot of fun to do).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Level1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	371.6 KB 
ID:	2435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Level2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	394.5 KB 
ID:	2436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Level3.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	501.6 KB 
ID:	2437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Level4.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	462.2 KB 
ID:	2438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cutaway1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	326.4 KB 
ID:	2439  

Nice work, Redrobes. That 3D view is great; I'm glad it was fun to create, for it sure is fun to view! Good entry.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I like the cutaway view as well, but the spiral stairs from the bottom floor does not appear to line up with the next level up.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Really cool stuff - but ditto what NeonKnight said.

Hi RR,

I really like your bone stair and you fractal rug, plus the cutaway view as everyone else.

Just one question: does any of you room get and outside view?
    On the first map, the second level from the top seems to be at the eye level of the head. It could be an idea to put some kind of window (maybe magical one) that would let the mage see outside and let the light enter.
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

Blog Entries

Thanks guys.

@Neon, your right. The intention of the map was to follow the spine which is an S shape but I had all the 3D bits and didn't want to spend any more time with it. So it should have a spiral and S shaped stairs. This cutaway view is a late addition. To have done the job properly I should have made this first and got the levels to line up properly and then mapped the floor. As it was I just guessed on the 2D maps. Theres lots of other issues in that the floors are just flat 2D textured so that the bed, table etc is not modeled.

@Alucard, the skull is supposed to be made out of really hard stuff so I could have windows where there might be holes in the skull. The 2nd floor was set at the nose height so that maybe I could have had the hole at the nostrils which might have been the entrance out to the mouth. Did you see the original painting ? Well from that I would figure that there is nowhere to go and not much to look out on to.

I reckon there is much more that could be done with it but I am pushed for time really. All the misc 3D bits were nicked from other projects and stuff I had lying about and the odd download. I used a 3D search engine and a sword came from here - http://www.baument.com/, then I got some 2D textures from CGTexture for the armour and shield etc. I made the bone, the skull, stairs but thats it really. I did the 2D fractal mats and floor outlines and the rest is textures, icons, and stuff. Chairs and bed came from RPGMapShare bits.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123