Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A free (and awesome) 3D tool : Sculptris

Default A free (and awesome) 3D tool : Sculptris

For all the mapmakers out there who work in the third-D, Pixologic, the makers of Zbrush, have just released a free alpha version of a really intuitive 3D model sculpting program. I'd really recommend it!

Here is a sample of someone doing terrain in the program:

http://www.sculptris.com/

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nice... looked very "drawish", which I like - but there was also no doubt about the guy knowing exactly what he was doing ... could be fun trying it, I like the idea of working with 3D like with clay
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Yep, it is very similar to Zbrush (one of the big, industry-leading 3D sculpting tools) in that it feels like working with a solid hunk of material (clay), but Zbrush has a disconcerting number of options, bells whistles, doohickeys... This one just has a small number of tools that are pretty flexible. I downloaded it and whipped something up really quick--it is pretty much as easy as it looks, and intuitive (which is really important for someone as thick as me.)

Blog Entries

i'm with you on that one ... although i do love many options, I prefer if I'm able to start out with only a few - an preferably without reading a manual
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Blog Entries

hmmmm... they don't mention requirements for the program ... and being on a mac - I'd love to see a version for that
    regs tilt

very interesting, i have Sculptris installed for some time, but never thought about making terrain models with it (my mind-set was it being usefull only a character-design).. must give that a try. cheers!

I think I was underwhelmed by a much earlier version of this, but I'll have a look next time I boot Windows.

I love virtual clay, but I haven't had much luck finding free apps that work for me. This may be for the same reason that I can't get anything useful done with real clay either. For some reason, these programs require artistry.

Blog Entries

We have had two threads about this app before. It was pretty cool when I tried it out last time. I cant really understand why its being bought by zbrush other than to eventually deprecate it out of the way... any other ideas about that ?

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Praise

WOW I went and downloaded this and am pretty amazed.. Now I spent about 3 minutes just fooling around and came up with this... I can see me having a LATE night getting the hang of it..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	green thing.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	31406
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast