Thread: Torr Elearia

Wip Torr Elearia

Elearia is a continent for the D&D campaign I DM. The world (Torr) is actually the physical body of Torr the God of Dirt. Elearia corresponds to Torr's left shoulder. The human kingdoms are concentrated around the large bay to the South. Humans are relatively new to the continent (in Elven terms). Tensions are beginning to rise among the races as the Humans increasingly desire to move North.

I started off with a drawing by hand but I plan to scan it and continue working digitally. Here's a poor photograph.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elearia110520x01.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	35935

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Much props for the rivers...most folks get them bass-ackwards.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Nice start, cant wait see your progression.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks like a good start.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip

Thanks guys! (I read the 'how to get your rivers in the right place' thread before starting btw). Anyway, here's an update.

Name:	eleariax001.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	36061
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eleariax001.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	36060  

Question

Does anyone have any suggestions of a style/tutorial for mountains that would fit this map? I wanted to have the mountains colored differently from the flat land, but I'm not sure if that would actually work well with the choices I've made so far.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Actually, I'd go with 'enhanced' versions of what you've already got in there for the rough mountain layout. In other words, darken the V's, and add a light color wash to 'em to give them some depth and detail.

Wip

Thanks Diamond, I went with that. I'd been trying to enhance the V's before actually. But I was starting by darkening the interior and that made them stand off of the page too much (like they were stickers or something). Just lightening one side seems to have worked out though, thanks.

Tips/Suggestions always appreciated:

Name:	eleariax003.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	36526

Now to add signs of civilization...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I really like what you have so far. The only thing I would do is thicken up the coast line...looks a little weak right now.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Map

So I haven't added to this map in a while. I actually touched up the coastline shortly after Ascension's comment. I then proceeded to add city's and roads, and some place names. Then I hit a road block. I wanted to be specific about the places on this map, however I only have certain regions actually planned out. Additionally from the scale of this map (which I've omitted from my image) I realized one would probably not see many cities, let alone roads. So I wanted to just label the countries. But... I don't have countries sorted out for this entire region, and most of them will be along the coast of large bay. This would give me a map with a region of highly congested text in the center and a lot of empty space elsewhere. Elsewhere being essentially terra incognita. It's not just that I haven't decided what's there it's intended to be unknown territory to the civilized races of this continent. However for me as mapmaker it's not fully terra incognita clearly since I made it and I definitely know where I put the trees.

I plan to start a new map focusing on the cultivated regions around the bay but I don't want to leave this map 'unfinished'. So what's the minimum text, and elements I can add to make this a presentable 'elearia 1.0'? title? scale? border? compass?

Edit:

I added some of the elements I mentioned. It still makes me question what makes a map finished. Is it having names? They don't need borders but sometimes it brings it together. When does a random geographic picture qualify as a map? Anyway... this is 'finished'.

Name:	eleariamap.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	37479
    Last edited by flocko; 08-02-2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Update