Thread: A Gimp trying to use GIMP

Default A Gimp trying to use GIMP

Hello everyone! A complete and utter noob in the mapmaking world needs help!

That person being me.

I am really interested in using GIMP, as I have seen some really beautiful maps drawn with them. However, I have absolutely no experience in using any sort of program like it, be it photoshop or any other. Plus im technologically impaired.

Is there some sort of guide for absolute dummies like me to learn how to use this program? Or any bits of helpful advice?

Thanks in advance!

For the basics I would look here: http://docs.gimp.org/

Additionally I would recommend you to open Google Video and search for video tutorials.

Maybe you could specify what you wanna do with the gimp. A map? What kind of map (worldmap, city map, regional map, space map, dungeon map etc.)? What style (fantasy, medieval, scifi, gameart, etc.)?

excellent, ill be sure to give that a look, thanks.

Sorry i didn't specify, I'm DMing a dnd 3.5 game on mythweavers, i plan on using GIMP for dungeon maps, especially outdoor "dungeons". Medieval/fantasy to be sure.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Plenty of tutorials here to wet your whistle as well. Welcome aboard.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps