Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosaic tile styled map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Mosaic tile styled map

Hello, friends:

Here's my latest Photoshop test run: an emulation of a mosaic map affixed to the wall of some ancient ruin. Although my composition is fairly weak here, I do see a lot of potential for this style, far beyond this quick test drive.

Take care,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mosaic round map.jpg 
Views:	1443 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	2329  
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I like it a lot. How did you do it?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

This is absolutely brilliant. You simply must let us in on your secret. I would make one of these in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    You did that with a filter???
    No, actually I did it with no filter at all: this is using 1) a custom brush, 2) stroking work paths, and 3) layer styles. Some of the fancy-shmancy finishing touches were created by doubling up end-layers (such as a Multiply layer for depth and a light rendered layer for the upper-left lighting).

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    We demand a tutorial!!
    Hahaha--no problem, I can whip that up. I'll post in in the coming days/week.

Neon, Jharviss, everyone: I'm glad it's inspired you!
    Last edited by pyrandon; 02-11-2008 at 01:08 PM.
    Don
    My gallery is here

That is fantastic. I'm soooo looking forward to the tut.

(Arg. Originally posted this to the wrong thread.)

Extremely cool. I recently needed a similar mosaic style in one of my maps. My results weren't anywhere near as realistic looking, but was a lot less work (but more money). It didn't turn out that badly, but not as sweet as your technique. I used the Xenofex mosaic filter, with a lot of tweaking of the underlying image (pre-filter) to get the filter to do what I wanted.

I do wonder if your technique might be easier to accomplish in Illustrator instead of Photoshop.

Wordman: PS actually has a built-in mosaic filter, of course, but much as your map the results are very "canned"--meaning extremely lovely in complexity, but lacking human elements and verisimilitude. (You map, by the way is very, very interesting--I absolutely love the tiling of the oceans and have already made up my mind to steal that from you. Yoink!)

I have Illustrator, but have never even opened it, so I cannot say if this technique would be easier there. I imagine you are right, since up until the final steps it really is a vector map. If anyone else knows the program, I would love to see them create tiles like I would have had before adding the layer styles, etc., so this could be imported into PS for rendering, etc.
    Don
    My gallery is here

Although I know PS fairly well, I don't have access to it currently. So I tried out your tutorial in gimp and wow... it is a totally different program and so far, looks very gimped.

I sorta figured out how to make the box-like airbrush shape, but I don't see any options to make it jitter in transparency or have the directional brushing (so that it looks more like a snake and not like a bunch of boxy stamps sprayed on a page). If any gimp pros could show me the light, I'd be very appreciative.

If there is any other way to make this mosaic type map, I will do just about anything! It's just too awesome to pass up!

(you can move this to your tut thread if you feel like it)

I wonder if RobA or another of our Master Gimpophiles could give soem suggestions on Gimpinizing it--I'm sorry to say I know nothing about it. I would love to see those results too; as you can see form my PS tutorial, it's nothing all that amazingly complex, so I assume you could do it in that program.
    Don
    My gallery is here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast