Thread: Old Nordic Style Continental Map for Fantasy RPG

Default Old Nordic Style Continental Map for Fantasy RPG

Hello there, my name is Ari.

I'm working on a non-profit fantasy RPG project called Might & Magic X: Children of the Void. I have a rough sketch of the continental map for our game, but it is incredibly lacking in detail. I would extremely appreciate if a cartographer from the guild would take some of his or her precious free time to help me recreate this sketch to appear complete, professional, and stylistically reflect an Old Nordic / Viking theme.

Time Constraints
    I am fully willing to negotiate a generous deadline to fit the schedule of a generous cartographer. I realize that you will probably have other projects on your plate, and since this one is unpaid, it won't be a first priority.

Style
    The history of the continent in our game is highly influenced by Norse Mythology, and I would like the map to reflect that type of setting.

Here is a 1500 x 1175 version of the map of Chedian from MMIX, the predecessor to MMX: Map of Chedian (MM9)

This would be a good start to make toward artistically conceptualizing the final version of the map. It's not set in stone, so I would like the cartographer who offers his assistance with this map to have full artistic freedom with designing the map. It will be your creation and you may want to show it in your portfolio if you wish to do so.

I would like the map in full color to show off its beauty and style. The choices of color are completely up to the artist.

Description of Map
    I've attached a scan of the map sketch for this project.

There are names of five provinces in total, and I would like the map titled "The Lands of Rysh", which is the name of the continent. The map is all in black and white, but the enclosed areas are land and some islands, and everything else surrounding the continent is ocean. I have drawn a rough proximity for a snow line, and I would like the Northern areas above the snow line to be shaded in some shade of white or blue to indicate snow and ice. The rest of the land is grass, dirt, and mountains.

Quality & Size
    Professional quality would be ideal, but I'm willing to work with a semi-professional cartographer for sure!

This will be required for the web and will be featured in the completed game, so I would prefer a map of high resolution and fine quality and detail.

I'm not 100% sure about the size of the map, but I can safely say that it should be on the large side. A good size estimate would be 1200 x 1000 pixels, but we can always resize the map if that turns out to be too big or too small.

Copyright
    The artist will have the option to retain the copyright of the map, and we will have permission from the artist to use the map in our game.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and if you have any questions or comments, please let me know. If you prefer to discuss this over email, you can reach me at MMXAlamar@gmail.com.

Bye!

~Ari
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rysh (Basic Map) [Edited].jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	36011  

Hi!
    I will be glad to help, if my skill not too low for this kind of job.

Here is complete map for other man who needed it:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...he-baren-south

Here thread where I'm working with my own-personal large map for skill raising:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...135#post154135

AND free demo : ))
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rysh (Basic Map) [Edited]3.jpg 
Views:	805 
Size:	362.2 KB 
ID:	36030  
    Last edited by Sergei Zybin; 05-24-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Thanks Sergei, that's a nice demo you made. There are a few minor issues with it, for instance the shape has been changed, but I realize it's just a demo. Do you think you could make a map that looks more like this one: Chedian

Also, I don't really get the Nordic/Viking feeling with your map, but it's a great place to start from. I'd be willing to work with you if you can use the map of Chedian as inspiration for a drawing of the whole continent. The theme is very important for our game!

Let me know if you'd like to continue and work with us. I would prefer a very high quality map, even if I have to wait a few weeks or more for it to be finished.

~Ari

Oh, then sorry, it seems I understand mission uncorectly : ) If I try to remake this map like official map, it will be trash when compared. Draw is one thing - strictly redraw another. Nordic feeling is placing all this ships and other figures? This is not my strong side. Hope your find someone better.

OK thanks for your honesty Sergei, as well as the demo map you made.

As to your question about the Nordic style, I'm looking for something that appears to be old fashioned, with a Viking influence in its creation. It's hard to say exactly what I want but I will certainly know it when I see it. In the case of the other map, the Viking ships and symbols do give it a Nordic feel.

Bump! It's pretty quiet in here. I hope that there are more cartographers out there who would be willing to help us with this map.

More detailed sketch is needed.