Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

Hello! Once long ago I came across this site, and forgot it for a few years. Now that I have an interest in fiction writing, I thought it would be a good idea to learn how to draw nice maps to go with my stories. I've been told that this is one of the nicest and most helpful communities on the internet. Hopefully I can contribute to that!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome, Vaxcelor. Give us a little info on what you like to write, and what aspect of it you want maps to add to. Do you have access to graphics tools already, or are you at the pre-selection stage?

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild. There are plenty of writers here that would love to help.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I tend to write anything from mind bogglingly cliche high fantasy to Poe-esque horror. H. P. Lovecraft is a huge influence.

I have GIMP, and 27 days left of a Photoshop trial. I have previously dabbled with some of the free map designers, but those are more geared towards dungeons, whereas I am looking at overland mapping. Do you have any recommendations?

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you plan on staying with GIMP there are several very good tutorials for making overland maps. I use GIMP pretty much exclusively and I find it to be a great tool for all kinds of maps.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Welcome.

Yes this is a great community, so helpful and nary a bad thing to say.

If you cannot acquire a copy of Photoshop, I would recommend sticking with GIMP. Steeper learning curve imo than say, CC3, but worth it I think. And GIMP is very sophisticated for an open source thing. And yes, this is a great community full of talented and friendly, helpful people.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected SilenBlade's Avatar

Also you can buy adobe elements, my map was made in adobe photoshop elements it's very cheap and good for maps

I've always found GIMP's UI to be agonizingly inefficient. Though, that's probably because I've not used it enough to become used to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast